Beer Taxes By State.. OMGosh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fifth highest in the country? Gag. I'm glad I brew my own:D

Although I'm happy to see my home state of Wisconsin tied for second lowest.

I mean, come on. SC is higher than Utah. UTAH!

Hmmm... the beer tax in TN is only 8 cents more than Wisconsin, I figured it was more than that since beer prices are so much higher here. Wonder who is to blame for that.... the distributors? the liquor stores? the breweries?

I see the idiots that made the map don't know that Hawai`i is the 50th state although they did include it in the report. We are paying $1.07 which is the highest in the country. HuRa for our tax crazy Democrats here in the islands and it jerks who keep re-electing them.

I see the idiots that made the map don't know that Hawai`i is the 50th state although they did include it in the report. We are paying $1.07 which is the highest in the country. HuRa for our tax crazy Democrats here in the islands and it jerks who keep re-electing them.
Heh, our tax crazy democrats here in Oregon have us at $0.08. They tried to raise it until the Oregon Brewers Guild made it a major issue. Our breweries factor into our state's economy. But in Hawaii, I'm guessing yours aren't quite as important. Get your tax dollars off the tourists and be happy in paradise dammit.

Society costs money. Taxes are a necessary evil. I wish my state taxed higher. If it means less policemen / firemen / teachers getting fired, I'm for it.

Surprised NY isn't higher. They just make up for it in property taxes and lay off all the teachers. Thanks Cuomo ...

My home state...Wisconsin...scores again! Gotta love those breweries in 'Sconsin!

And LandoLincoln wants Illinois to increase taxes? You gotta be kidding! Wanna look at my property taxes???

glenn514:mug:

Wow - I'm kinda shocked CT isn't higher - they sure made enough noise about it a couple years back when they increased the tax rate on alcohol...

Think tax is bad on alcohol? try looking up how much is on tobacco products and gasoline...

Zamial said:
Think tax is bad on alcohol? try looking up how much is on tobacco products and gasoline...

Well at $1.07 per 12oz can, i suspect beer is more highly taxed than gasoline by volume. Even in California where we pay something like $.83 per gallon in gas taxes, beer is taxed over twice as much by volume.

I'm not a fan of taxes, but higher excise taxes on alcohol do increase the relative valuation of homebrewing. And we need all the help we can get to cost-justify our hobby...

Well at $1.07 per 12oz can, i suspect beer is more highly taxed than gasoline by volume. Even in California where we pay something like $.83 per gallon in gas taxes, beer is taxed over twice as much by volume.

It's 1.07 per gallon, but you are still right. It is higher than the per gallon for gasoline.

It's 1.07 per gallon, but you are still right. It is higher than the per gallon for gasoline.

Ah, it said based on 12oz can, and did not specify units in the map shown in the article, but it DOES say per gallon in the map on the tax foundation's page (same map, only with units in the title). Sorry for the confusion.

^ I was wonder how on earth it could be per 12 oz can. that would make a 24 pack of coors cost $40 in AL.

Unfortunately its all based on politics and big business. No one has mentioned that the lowest taxed states are also homes of the biggest commercial breweries.

I don't even wanna tell y'all what our taxes are like. Folks are paying close to $50 for a two-four of beer here in a lot of places. Gas in my city is something like $4.40 per gallon. My marginal income tax rate is 46.4%.

If you are paying low beer taxes, your state government is surely making up for it in other areas, such as higher income tax or property taxes or something. There is no free ride if you want to have public services.

I don't even wanna tell y'all what our taxes are like. Folks are paying close to $50 for a two-four of beer here in a lot of places. Gas in my city is something like $4.40 per gallon. My marginal income tax rate is 46.4%.

Yes but that covers your medical. Sorry about that one, they still want to push that through here in the states.

WI has been one of the lowest for a long time. I don't think there has been an increase in the tax in decades.

Latest posts

Back