Beer tastes and smells like water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
Beer tastes and smells like water. I tasted it right before kegging. Is this normal? Will co2 and time in the keg change the taste? Did I keg too early? Will it further condition in the keg in the fridge at cold temperature? What is meant by conditioning? How long does it take to condition and change in the keg at cold temps? I’m not seeing how this is going to magically turn into something that tastes like beer.

If I had a blindfold taste test, I probably couldn’t tell a difference.

Sierra Nevada resilience ipa clone
I hit all my numbers. Mash temp was steady at 154°. 1.070 og. 1.016 fg. Fermented at 65° for 21 days. Cold crashed. Kegged.

2A0524DC-CAFB-48F5-8CF0-3D8CBE4B3D3D.jpeg

There is no way that recipe could smell or taste like water.

i disagree... i suffer from beer block myself, i've just come to accept it... it's been that way for me since like 2007-2008...

this would be just speculation on my part, but maybe try serving it cask style? with my problem i've noticed some oxygenation, brings out the malt flavor a lot...not always, so i just think that's probably what it is...

(what i mean, is if i bottle from the keg and seal it up and let it sit for a few weeks the bottles have flavor)

OP states that other beers taste as they should.

i guess i remember that now... i'm at a loss then. (of course in the begging of my 'problem'...i made the conscious decision, if the 'powers' don't want me to taste my homebrew, then i don't want to taste their swill either...)

:mug:

Beer tastes and smells like water. I tasted it right before kegging. Is this normal? Will co2 and time in the keg change the taste? Did I keg too early? Will it further condition in the keg in the fridge at cold temperature? What is meant by conditioning? How long does it take to condition and change in the keg at cold temps? I’m not seeing how this is going to magically turn into something that tastes like beer.

If I had a blindfold taste test, I probably couldn’t tell a difference.

Sierra Nevada resilience ipa clone
I hit all my numbers. Mash temp was steady at 154°. 1.070 og. 1.016 fg. Fermented at 65° for 21 days. Cold crashed. Kegged.

I'd keep it cold crashed for a bit, carb it up to around 1 volume, serve cold, & "Bob's your uncle", as they say.

There is nothing wrong with recipe or process, the way it was written, from what I can see. Any chance it got a bit oxidized?

Will carbing it up transform it? Or should it taste similarly just kegged as it will when carbed?

Obviously, someone drunk half of it and topped it back up with water. Happens all the time.

Never did have that happen with a keg, but did eventually notice some bottles in back of cupboard had gotten very diluted starting when my oldest kid had a deviant friend over.

They got into some very low end creme de mint and triple sec that someone left.

Kind of felt bad for them, when I was their age, I was drinking beer.

Never did have that happen with a keg, but did eventually notice some bottles in back of cupboard had gotten very diluted starting when my oldest kid had a deviant friend over.

They got into some very low end creme de mint and triple sec that someone left.

Kind of felt bad for them, when I was their age, I was drinking beer.
You gotta love Germany as a teenager.... Legal age for buying wine and beer is 16. 18 for everything that contains distilled spirits.

You gotta love Germany as a teenager.... Legal age for buying wine and beer is 16. 18 for everything that contains distilled spirits.

Yeah, I even read on another well trusted forum, from a US citizen/German resident, that he was allowed a beer or two in evening when recovering from a road accident in a German hospital.

Wish I could have had that when I was in....would have helped a lot.

Latest posts

Back