Beer styles for aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil_Ozzy_Fer

Reaction score
Hello,

About 5-6 months from now I'm going to be entering a period where I'll simply be too busy to brew. Probably until next spring. Brutal, I know. Knowing this though, I'd like to brew a few batches in advance of this maelstrom and I'm looking for suggestions for beer styles (ales only please) that can be brewed for aging (even if it's only for 4 months). I'm currently planning an English IPA and a Barleywine/Old Ale (haven't decided on a recipe). Technically any beer could fit this bill, but some handle aging better than others, and I'd prefer something that was around 4% ABV. Thought I'd throw this out there. Suggestions?

Thank you for helping me out with this

Well, with a 6 month to a year aging, most styles will fit. But any yeast-based beer benefits from aging and changes in complexity. Maybe a light saison or belgian pale ale. Personally, I would do something big, a quad or a huge barleywine and get some bourbon chips or whatever your preference is. That will only start to get to goodness when you first start drinking it.

Are you talking about bulk aging or aging it in the bottle? Either way, I wouldn't do anything hop-forward.

I have a 6% oatmeal stout that I bottled about 3 months ago that gets better every time I try it. Also got a Belgian dark strong ale that's getting much better with age. That one's almost 9% abv though... Maybe an Abbey single if you want to stay closer to 4%??

I'd say anything that's malt or yeast forward would be a safe bet.

I could leave it in a carboy, but I'd more likely be bottling first if possible. I don't want to have to worry too much about the beer once things are hectic.

Belgians come to mind when I think of aging. brew a couple of them.

A big stout is also another good choice. Those age well.

If you want something that can sit in the carboy for a year then brew up a sour and leave it be.

The general rule of thumb is, the more dark (or darker) malts, and the higher in alcohol, the more it benefits from aging.

Hops and bitterness will fade, so a style that doesnt depend on finishing hops is best.
By those guidelines: Old ale, barleywine, RIS and other strong porters/stouts, Baltic porter, Doppelbock, Quad, dubbel, and Biere de Garde, are the ones which can age a year without a problem.

For the low gravity type beer you want, I recommend recipes with darker caramel/crystal malts and/or some roast malt for aging, and english or belgian yeast. "Clean" yeast beers don't age as interestingly, because the fermentation by products are part of what changes (pleasantly).

I will dissent from the hoppy beers view partially, because I think that hoppy beers lose "hoppy flavor" but still age differently from less hoppy beers.

Good suggestion all around, and much appreciated.

I will dissent from the hoppy beers view partially, because I think that hoppy beers lose "hoppy flavor" but still age differently from less hoppy beers.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, and I have a book that compiles a lot of old out-of-fashion recipes from the UK. Lots of them are intended to be aged, and those ones in particular are extremely aggressively hopped. Yet, after a minimum of four months of aging, it's likely to have mellowed somewhat. We'll see.

Looking forward even more to my mini brewstravaganza now.

Stock / old ale with an OG around 1055. Age with Brett. Good dash of invert or some amber malt in there.

I'm in a similar boat as you, OP, though it's only a two month hiatus. I've prepared a pretty solid lineup imo in advance: a blonde ale, a milk stout, a British strong ale (was supposed to be an esb but I went overboard!) and an American imperial ipa.

Some of these "strong ales" age pretty well.

Matter of fact, I am a fan of Stone's Arrogant B@$tard even when fresh, but give them a couple of months to age, and the bitterness diminishes & some of the malty-ness shines through. IMHO, they're better with a few months of age on them, and when my local supermarket that carries them knocks them down to $2.99 each, I know they are nearing the end of their "best by date & will pick up 2 or 3 and sit on them for a few months longer.

:D

Back