Beer Style Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty13

Reaction score
I'm gonna be brewing my 3rd batch tomorrow which will be an oatmeal stout using the partial mash method. Got a question...

I have made 2 ales prior and it seems like the process of brewing is the same between ales and stouts (with the exception of the extract vs partial mash). You put in the LME, hops, etc per directions or what you want, pitch the yeast, you get the picture.

My question is what during the process from grains to drinking is different for ale vs stout or any other style for that matter? Is it simply different ingredients, hops, etc? Thanks. :mug:

In modern terms a Stout is a TYPE of Ale (kinda like a square is a rectangle).

In homebrewing terms the 1st major distinction is Lager v. Ale. Because of yeast preferences Lagers are fermented at around 46-52F and Ales are 60-70F and up. Within Ales there are dozens of Styles of beers including Pale, Amber, Brown, Porter, Stout and many more.
You are correct to assume that the main difference between your Stout and other Ale's you've brewed is ingredients including grain bill, hops and yeast. Also depending on the types of Ales you already brewed the Stout may take longer to "condition" and reach its peak flavor.

In modern terms an Ale is a TYPE of Stout (kinda like a square is a rectangle).

In homebrewing terms the 1st major distinction is Lager v. Ale. Because of yeast preferences Lagers are brewed at around 40F and Ales are 60-70F and up. Within Ales there are dozens of Styles of beers including Pale, Amber, Brown, Porter, Stout and many more.
You are correct to assume that the main difference between your Stout and other Ale's you've brewed is ingredients including grain bill, hops and yeast. Also depending on the types of Ales you already brewed the Stout may take longer to "condition" and reach its peak flavor.

+1 on this, except that I think you mean that a stout is a type of ale? Or perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.

In any case, Matty, here's a list of beer styles, each of which is either a type of lager or a type of ale.

+1 on this, except that I think you mean that a stout is a type of ale? Or perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.

In any case, Matty, here's a list of beer styles, each of which is either a type of lager or a type of ale.

Yeah sorry I will edit that or it will confuse the heck out of the OP

yea...just googled and found out...I guess I should have done that prior to posting..sorry but I guess this is the way you learn...

yea...just googled and found out...I guess I should have done that prior to posting..sorry but I guess this is the way you learn...

Hey, every question I've ever asked here was known by many many people - that's the point, some people want to know about something and other people have info to share. Soon, I'll be asking a question that you'll answer.

Also, FYI, a Stout is the Son of a Porter. The name came from strong or stout Porters.

[Reference: Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels page 302.]

I think you meant the Ferment temps. The Brewing temp can vary from just hot water for Pre-Hopped extracts, to 212* boils for both Ales and Lagers.

Also, FYI, a Stout is the Son of a Porter. The name came from strong or stout Porters.

[Reference: Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels page 302.]

WOW I meant to help, yes fermentation temperature is what I meant, sorry once again, my first post has been updated. Any other errors someone else wants to point out?? I wish I could blame these errors on drinking this evening yet I'm stone sober. :cross:

No problem. I'll edit mine too and you edit your last one to remove my comment on it and we can forget the whole thing happened.

It is all good.

everyone needs to remember the speech from NHC this year "Dont Be A Dick" on the internet forums!

WOW I meant to help, yes fermentation temperature is what I meant, sorry once again, my first post has been updated. Any other errors someone else wants to point out?? I wish I could blame these errors on drinking this evening yet I'm stone sober. :cross:

Um, ok, since you asked. :D

40 degrees is way too cold to ferment a lager- lager yeast do their best work at 48 degrees or a bit higher, like up to 52-53 degrees, for most lager yeast strains. Any lower than about 46-48 degrees, and the yeast will go dormant.

Um, ok, since you asked. :D

40 degrees is way too cold to ferment a lager- lager yeast do their best work at 48 degrees or a bit higher, like up to 52-53 degrees, for most lager yeast strains. Any lower than about 46-48 degrees, and the yeast will go dormant.

See clearly I've never done a lager I just know they're fermented cooler than Ale's, also I don't do the C to F conversion very well. Hopefully the OP got my point and isn't freezing his lager as we speak....
That's it I'm off to get a homebrew as all my errors have driven me to drink. Their must be some irony in there somewhere.

Ok, Veinman. Stop it.

He is doing a Stout. That is NOT a Lager.

Gees guy. I know being stone sober can be a drag, but pay attention.

See clearly I've never done a lager I just know they're fermented cooler than Ale's, also I don't do the C to F conversion very well. Hopefully the OP got my point and isn't freezing his lager as we speak....
That's it I'm off to get a homebrew as all my errors have driven me to drink. Their must be some irony in there somewhere.

Hahaha- there should be a rule around here. NO posting completely sober. That just conflicts with the whole "RDWHAHB" attitude. Obviously, I drink. And I subscribe to Cliff Claven's Buffalo Theory, which proves that I feel smarter after a few beers.

I need to put a new line under my signature- "This post brought to you by PUI, posting under the influence. The management disavows any posts made after Noon central time. Er, 11 AM CST. Wait. 9 AM CST. Sometimes."

Back