Beer style advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNewbs

Reaction score
I have a friend who is in Afghanistan for the next 6 months, and before he goes we want to brew something that will age well while he's gone that we can drink at his welcome home party in October.

He loves:
DIPAs (recently GLBC Alchemy Hour)
Belgian Wits

He likes:
Brown Ales, but not malt bombs
Wheats

So I guess I am looking for recommendations on what styles will hold up over time, and maybe even get better in the bottle, that he may like from what I have told you (which is very little). I know big citrusy IPAs will lose their hop aroma over that time period, but I have never aged one to see if it just attained other types of awesome.

What do you think?

While 6 months isn't that long, it's very long for DIPA, Wit, Wheat. Not sure. Maybe something over 8%, something sweet and malty.

Wit beer should be drank young and not aged. Same with Wheat and IPAs /IIPAs.

Have you ever let anything age on oak? Maybe try a robust porter/export stout and let it sit on some oak cubes for a few months. Should develop a nice, smooth, woody, smoked flavor in that time.

A brown ale will still be fine in six months.. Hoppy beers/wheat beers just don't store as well, unfortunately.

You could possibly do a DIPA, then dry hop it before he gets back. You'll have bitterness + aroma, but the bad thing would be, reduced hop flavor.

A Belgian Dubbel or Trippel. Should be just right after 6 months. A nice dry trippel will go down well; something like Chimay white or Duvel (although that is technically classified as a Belgian Strong Ale). Or a nice dry spicy Saison with 3711.

Alternatively you could go for something with Brett as a secondary yeast (similar to Orval); however that might not go well with everyone at a party.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will have to follow up with him about something oak aged. I am not sure he's had much in the style. I know I could drum up a run of the mill brown ale, and that would probably be the most successful and appreciated at a party where not everyone is a beer geek... but damnit I am a beer geek and I want something big, bold, brash, and beautiful (and Brett, would be good too...)

So in summation, it doesn't sound like there is anything that we can say that IPA/IIPA/Wit/Wheat drinkers would mostly love that will hold up. I do like the idea of a dry finishing trippel, but I guess I would have to pick up a bottle somewhere and have him try it before committing to the path.

Thanks again!

Wheat, IPA, Belgian ........ mix the three.

Do something like Houblon Chouffe. Basically wheat and Pils (or Pale), no crystal, fermented with Anchouffe yeast (WLP550 - I don't know the Wyeast#), and a load of Amarillo finishing hops (+ dry hop). The beer will change over time, but will stay great.

Back