Beer Smith - 'manually' convert malts for extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
So i'm trying to brew a Sinebrychoff Porter clone, using extract and specialty grains.

This is what I have so far, as a partial mash, in Beer Smith:
9 lbs 14 oz light DME
8 oz Crystal 60
8 oz Chocolate Malt
7 oz Munich Malt
7 oz Vienna Malt
2 oz Northern Brewer Hops (60 min)
.5 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (25 mins)
.5 oz Saaz (10 mins)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 mins)
Irish Ale Yeast (WL1084)

The problem is that Beer Smith won't let me convert it to Extract, as it says I need to 'manually' convert the Munich and Vienna malts. Anyone like to interpret that statement? Should I just go alone with the recipe and use the malts as steeping specialty grains?

Thanks!

Definitely. partial mash really isn't that hard compared to extract brewing. Especially with a small amount of grains like that. Heat your water in a pot, add your grains, put it in a warm oven. Stir once about halfway through and pour it into your brew pot through a strainer. Easy as pie.

BTW, I used the above recipe with the steeping grains, and it's the best one I've brewed yet (of ~6 batches?)

as a follow up, this beer just won me first place in the Stouts and Porters category at the Topsfield Fair Homebrew Competition!

Back