Beer Smith 2 mobile app any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I knocked my laptop onto the floor and now it won't power on. Not a big deal except all my beer recipes are in Beer Smith 2 on it.

Panicked but remembered I still had my old laptop. So I dug it out and "phew" my recipes were on the Beer Smith on it.

Thinking about getting the mobile app and using my tablet as opposed to a laptop. Anyone using it?

So I knocked my laptop onto the floor and now it won't power on. Not a big deal except all my beer recipes are in Beer Smith 2 on it.

Panicked but remembered I still had my old laptop. So I dug it out and "phew" my recipes were on the Beer Smith on it.

Thinking about getting the mobile app and using my tablet as opposed to a laptop. Anyone using it?

it's good for basic design features and useful to have when you are in a store and need to pick up ingredients for recipe (use cloud to share recipes from one device to another). But some more advanced features - such as water matching/ pH adjustment tool, or yeast starter calculator, are missing in phone version. But it's good for 80-90% of what most of us do.

I do like the timer feature. My last brew I used it and it will automatically pull your hop addition times so you don't have to set a timer for 30 minutes then 15 and so on, it was pretty handy for convenience sake.

And I agree with the basic design features and putting in notes during the brew, like gravity readings and wort volumes.

Salvage the HDD and put it into another computer. It's easy.

I wouldn't use the mobile app as a standalone. It's nice to grab recipes from the cloud during brewday, but I wouldn't use it do design beers. To much hassle.

I never thought to back it up to the cloud. I was just lucky I used it on my old laptop or I would have lost everything.

I'll have to be sure to do that.

He was suppose to release an update in October for the app. One that would allow you to have cloud view of your inventory, and a lot more.
But, nothing so far.

I like the app mostly for the timer and to get a quick glimpse at my ingrediants. I use it in brew day now with conjuction with my spreadsheet which is now on Google docs. So all I need is my phone now on brewday. But I still design on the regular software. I also wouldn't want to use it as standalone.

It's all I have ever used for recipe design and on brew day. Works fine for me.

I've get a regular rotation of 5 beers plus a couple I make occasionally AND Skeeter Pee so I'm not super concerned with designing. My old laptop was also the victim of a fall which broke the hinge so I worry opening and closing it. Hence the use of the app.

If once I get my Hosehead up and running it can do all the timers and stuff I won't need Beer Smith unless I decide to design a new beer.

I strictly use the mobile app. It might not be as advanced as the desktop version, but it allows me to create my recipes, set my mash settings, etc etc.

I save my recipes on the cloud so I can use my phone while I at work and want to design recipes, and use my tablet for brew days (my 3 tiers setup even has a little shelf so I can leave the tablet on it).

So far the only thing the mobile version doesn't have that I miss is the inventory management.
I depend on the desktop version for that, but it would have been nice to at least be able to display my inventory on the mobile version without having to remember to stick an Excel export on a cloud...

Cheers!

I've been playing around a bit with recipe edit and it does seem like most everything is there. Just a matter of figuring out the layout of it all. I'm so used to the desktop version that it is more conveniant for me.

Are the ingrediants add-ons available in the mobile? I didn't see them.

I had Beersmith on my wifes desktop, but she upgraded to a laptop and the desktop is unfortunately in the garage (we just moved) and I dont really have much access to it. Would the mobile app suffice as a stand alone brewing app? Or would I need to fire up the desktop somewhere to get everything to work appropriately?

Back