Beer separated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacktooth1313

Reaction score
I did exact thing I've done for the past 10 brews but this time the beer has separated itself in the carboy and I pitched yeast 4pm yesterday and nothing has still started ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395920534.266365.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395920549.146723.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What temp is it at, and did you pitch enough yeast for the gravity and quantity of wort? If the temp is too low, or you under pitched the yeast then that could cause a slow start to fermentation.

Calls for pitching at 68 to 70 and fermenting at 66 all that is correct I've never seen this

Keep calm. What you are seeing is the result of the beer "Trub" settling down to the bottom of the fermentor. We're talking about hops particles and Hot Break proteins.

Normally you would not see this at the start of fermentation because the yeast generally kicks in and keeps things stirred up for a while. I looks as though the yeast has decided to not start fermenting yet. Give it a couple of days and see what happens. Yeast doesn't ALWAYS start at the same time each time. If you changed the yeast strain, or if the wort or temperature is different, or even if you've gotten a packet of yeast that was somehow damaged or old, it might take longer.

I would make sure to have another packet or two on hand just in case this doesn't show any signs of starting in the next 2 days.

Thank you very much and yes trying a new yeast this go and it told me to stir in cool water to moisten for 20 min before I pitched I've never done that

I've had a 3 day lag time before seeing signs of fermentation. Could be any number of reasons, temperature, lack of aeration, underpitching, etc. Let it chill for a couple more days then repitch like Homercidal suggested. I will say once I started shaking the bejeezus (technical term) out of the carboy for about a good minute before pitching my yeast my lag time decreased substantially.

Thank you very much and yes trying a new yeast this go and it told me to stir in cool water to moisten for 20 min before I pitched I've never done that

Actually a little lag is normal. For rehydration the dry yeast companies recommend 95-105F for the water. Use spring water for best results as it will not contain chlorine or chloramine. Boil first to sanitize then chill to rehydration temp.

Sometimes I just crack open a new bottle of bottled water assuming it's been treated by UV or whatever at the factory. I can be lazy that way sometimes. Well, that was before I canned my own rehydration water in small mason jars...

Latest posts

Back