Beer room using unnecessary electricity during winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamo27

Reaction score
Hi all I have a beer room built outside
It’s is currently -2 to 7 degrees in Ireland and my cold room is still on and using electricity(it’s mad how expensive this is gone)
It is set at 8° which is warmer then the average day temperature
Is there anything I could build that cuts out the power of the compressor and instead uses the outside temperature to maintain 7°inside
It’s very well insulated room but it doesn’t need any electrical consumption for at least 4 months in the year

Sounds like you must already have a heat pump for cooling and heating. I don't think you are likely to re-invent something to DIY and keep your room at the temperatures you want. At least not economically. Though they might appeal to your desire to tinker even if it cost more money.

You might consider if you can add any thermal mass on the inside of the room. And of course there is solar heating to consider, but that only works when you have sun shining and the better implementation of solar always seemed to go along with designs that had a lot of interior thermal mass.

But if you are only talking about a few months out of the year and electricity or it's cost isn't an issue, then just add a resistance heater to the system.

Thermal resistance heating blankets are also an option for just wrapping your fermenters with.

I suppose you could use a temperature controller to signal a motor (with a motor controller?) to open and close a window. The circuit(s) would be a little beyond me, but I'm sure someone on here would know how this could be done. Could make an interesting and unique DIY project. Probably expensive though, I would guess.

I could picture a temperature controller turning on a fan (plus maybe a butterfly valve in a vent) to blow in cold, outside air. You could even have that temperature controller on another one that monitored the outside air temperature.

Controller 1 checks if it's cold outside (below 8). If it is indeed colder, it turns on controller 2. Controller 2 checks if the room is above 8. If the room is above 8, it turns on the vent and fan.

I doubt that's the best plan but I bet there's means to do it if you're just looking for a little external air.

Totally agree to more insulation unless there's a ton already.

Back