beer recipe kit vs Palmer recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blues_N_beer

Reaction score
I'm going through the ever popular How to Brew and planning my first session. I'm going about it in a rather anal retentive fashion, as I want to have a successful first batch.

I've searched for reviews of the beer recipes from Palmer's book, but haven't found much out there. Anyone tried his recipes that can comment on them?

In trying to make my first batch successful, should I go with a tried and true best selling beer kit from a larger, reputable dealer (i.e. Northern Brewer or Austin), or do Palmer's recipes in How to Brew match up?

I'm trying to keep the recipe relatively simple so that I can focus on the procedures and techniques. I am jumping to the steeping grains level for my first batch, since it seems that adding a boiling step won't be any more difficult but should produce a better beer. It also opens up a wider selection of recipes/kits to choose from.

Thanks to any and all who respond to my first post as a future home brewer!
:rockin:

I agree with brewbama. Get 2-3 kits under your belt and then you'll feel more confident following recipes.

I got one kit under my belt; then went to my local home brew store, talked with them about getting something together for my first non-kit batch. I tend take Palmer recipes and tweak them.. then talk to my local homebrew store and see if I am on the right track or completely wrong.

I started both extract (many years ago) and all-grain (last year) using recipes without any problems. I would suggest that the recipe isn't the biggest challenge to start, it is the other stuff - sanitation, fermentation temperature, etc.
For example, I actually completely botched my first all grain recipe last year, but it was amazing. Not what I was aiming for, but a great beer.

I'm sure Palmer's recipes are fine (I've haven't used one but they look reasonable) so go with whatever is cheaper/simpler. Just pick a recipe for a style you really like and focus on your process. The keys IMO are aerate very well before pitching (it's basically impossible to over aerate), pitch plenty of yeast, and ferment at the correct temp. Good luck!

You have to try realy hard to mess up one of the kit recipes. Nice way to get your confidence. don't overthink it and have fun.
I love your membership name, but ya got it all backwards...
Cheers!

Try the "Cincinnati Pale Ale" recipie he has in the beginner section of the book. It doesn't get any cheaper or easer than that one. It actually brews an OK beer too!

Thanks all for the generous responses. If anyone else feels like chiming in, please do! Due to my schedule it will likely be early March before I get a chance to brew, so I have plenty of time to think over all of the opinions!

My first batch (extract) was a recipe from the LHBS where I bought my gear. My next 3-4 were recipes from How to Brew and Papazian's book ... I don't think it's bad to start with a recipe ... If you follow the directions :). The first batch is exciting/scary, but it really isn't that hard to make decent brew.

Happy brewing!

IMO there's no need to buy an actual kit unless that's what you prefer, it's just a proven recipe with the ingredients already assembled for you. It's really not rocket science following most recipes, so as long as it's a reputable source you should be fine - which in my mind would include John Palmer, recipes you can find online from sources like BYO or the major retailers, or ones in the recipe database that have good ratings with lots of posts supporting. Just look for something in a style you like to drink, like you said maybe keeping it relatively simple, then focus on your processes.
:mug:

I agree, there's nothing wrong with kits, but picking a recipe and going from there isn't too hard.

Back