beer recipe American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirceadobre78

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am kind on knew to beer making at home.
I am planning to do an American IPA with the ingredients that I have. I use BeerSmith to create this recipe. Please let me know what do you think about it, and also some suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks in advance:

18.5 L
Malt:
*Pale Ale 3 Kg
*Vienna 0.7 Kg
*Munich 0.35 Kg
*Wheat 0.3 Kg
*Cara Gold 120 0.3 Kg
Brown sugar = 0.3 Kg
Boil 20 min at 60 degrees C, 10 min at 66 C, 20 min for 68C, 10 min 72 C
Total boil 1 hour
-----------------------------
Hop: Boil for...
60 min = 10g Magnum (14%)
60 min = 5g Summit
30 min = 5g Summit
20 min = 5g Summit (17%)
5 min = 10g Hallertauer (4.8%)
0min = 30g Cascade (5.5%)
--------------------------------
Yeast = Safe-Ale 004
Irish Moss = 20gr, 10 min before finishing
--------------------------------
7-10 days Fermentation at 18 degrees C
Addes 3 gr of white sugar per 330ml bottle for carbonatation when bottling.

Target:
OG=1057
FG=1010
IBU=45.5
Color 25.3 EBC
ABV=6.1%

I'd be tempted to drop the vienna or munich (keep one), and go with white sugar or just all malt. Brown will work too if you really want to but its not the norm. Also you'll want a lot more late addition hops for an ipa, like 60g (2oz) at 10 minutes and again at flameout. A good approach is to go with 3 additions at 60, 10 and FO. Also dry hop 2 oz after fermentation.

Thanks for your quick input. I'll try as you suggest.
I will let you now the results (wish to invite you a bottle or two...jaja).

Thanks,
Mircea

I would also say, in general, that you'll want an IPA to be more than 45 IBU's. I know that's technically within guidelines, but I think for an estimated 6.1% ABV that having something near 60 IBU's would be a nice balance.

Drop the brown sugar. I like both Munich and Vienna in my IPA grain bill but maybe cut the cara gold if you use both. You need more IBUs and s simpler hopping schedule. 60, 15/10, and FO is a winner. I use around 50-80 grams at FO and the same for dry hopping.

Drop the Cara Gold 120 too.
Perhaps 10% Munich or Vienna and 90% pale malt for grist.
Not sure where you are saying:
Boil 20 min at 60 degrees C, 10 min at 66 C, 20 min for 68C, 10 min 72 C
That would be mash temperatures, and 20 minutes at 60C/140F, 10min at 66C/151F, 20min at 68C/!54F, and 10min at 72C/162F would be a weird mash schedule. Better would be to mash at 65-68C only. Lower temp would make a more bitter/"American" IPA.
You would still need to boil the beer with the hops to make your beer.
Also, Hallertauer hops don't belong in the beer, and those are really low amounts of Summit and Cascade for an American IPA.

I'm confused as well by what you describe as a "boil" schedule since none of the temps listed ( even in °C) are boiling.
If this is indeed your mash schedule it is much too complicated. Pick a mash temp based on your desired outcome, i.e., dry or not, and go with it.

US-05 is a better yeast for an American IPA... but S-04 will work.

Also, I feel that you really need to dry hop an IPA these days.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. It's helping me a lot to a better beer.
I scheduled the Mash Target at around 68°C, but 10min at 62 °C to get some Beta Amylase and 72°C for Alpha Amylase. Would you recommend not to do it? The aporting to the final product will be insignificant?
I change the brown sugar (used table sugar instead).
I use Cara Gold 120 mostly for color and a little bit of bitter from the malt (if make sense).

At the end I end up with 74 IBU's, OG=1048 (target was 1052).
I didn't have the S-05 so I use S-04 instead.
Dry hop I didn't try it so far, but I love the taste of dry hop beers. I will try it one of my next batches.

The beer is fermenting nicely at the moment, let's see the results.

Cheers,
Mircea Dobre

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that my beer came out just great. The IBU was way lower than expected, probably around 30-40. Very clear, nice color, great taste. Not sure it will go to American IPA but the taste it's just great.
Thanks again for your help,

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back