Beer question plz help?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acejord

Reaction score
So I brewed my first beer ever and it was a success, now it's time for my 2nd. I'm attempting to brew an extra IPA however I got lazy on Sunday and added my yeast to 85 degree wort. It's been 48 hours and nothing has happened.... I assume I shocked the yeast. Any advice or should I just repitch?? I used safeale-05 FYI

85 should not have killed the yeast - I know this from experience. 05 is very hearty. Although I am not sure if you will get some bi-products (esters etc.) pitching that warm. Give it another day.

85 is pretty high but not enough to kill the yeast. It still maybe working or having a slow start and not showing much sign. Give it a few more days and take a sample to check the gravity. See where you are from there.

She is going strong now! I got impatient cause it took so long to cool down and I wanted to go to bed at 230am because of work the next day. I need to start earlier next time. Thanks for the advice.

photo-8.jpg

She is going strong now! I got impatient cause it took so long to cool down and I wanted to go to bed at 230am because of work the next day. I need to start earlier next time. Thanks for the advice.

You know, you should really think about investing in a wort chiller. You can make one for under 40$ with coiled copper tube and a washing machine inlet hose.

That way you would not end up waiting 10 hours for you beer to cool down.

I'm glad fermentation started ! The krausen looks good !

Cheers!

Definitely a chiller could be handy. But really, a good ice water bath always knocks my temps down at a rapid pace.

Back