Beer Priming.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacey32

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a question about my bottled homebrew. I recently opened a bottle and poured it into a glass. Heard the fizz noise when I opened it and there are bubbles in floating up in the beer. However, there's no head on the beer. Shouldn't there be? Is my brew flat? It tastes fine. Help please. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428297544.942071.jpg

Bottles were kept in my office/guest room at about 73 degrees Fahrenheit. I used fermentor's favorites fizz drops to prime. The brew was bottled a week ago and today was my first test.

I don't know about the fix drops, I use sugar, but it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks for my bottles to fully carbonate.

One week is not nearly enough time. I would recommend that you wait at least 2 more. But feel free to try one a week until they are ready to be put in the fridge.

Cracking one early is a weakness many brewers have, at least untill the have the pipeling going.

In my experience you want to wait about 3 weeks, but often will still be carbonating slowly after 5 or 6 weeks.

You also want to cool you beer before opening it, this forces more co2 from the head space into the liquid, so you get moreof that fizzy feeling on your tongue.

If you say it tastes fine now im guessing itsgoing to be better in a few weks time. While waiting why not get another batch down

Yeah, 3-4 weeks on average. But during cooler weather, mine take longer. That cloudiness will settle out more too. I typically do 5-7 days in the fridge to allow any chill haze to form & settle, if any. Too much fining agents can kill head as well. But it's driven by carbonation once poured.

Thanks for your help everyone!

I definitely was eager to try one out. Recipe directions said to check one at 1 week which is why I opened it. Will keep them stowed away for another 2 weeks.

Back