Beer or wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimey

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First ever post here! Searched for this topic but couldn't find anything. I'm reasonably new to AG brewing, done about 5 batches. Brewed a cream stout about a month ago, and the fermentation was weird. After 72 hours had no bubbles from the airlock, no krausen at all. Thought the yeast weren't working so took a sample and gravity had dropped from 1.045 to 1.020. Good sign right? Took another sample after 10 days and gravity was at 1.015. Thought I was in the clear. Went to keg the brew today and there was no yeast cake at all on the bottom of the fermenter, just a bunch of sediment. Tasted the brew and the flavour is great, but still tastes sweet like it's full of sugar (although maybe that's how it's supposed to taste, first time brewing it). Final gravity is at 1.010. Colour me confused! Do I have beer on my hands? Gravity readings would say yes, taste and visible signs of yeast would say no. I put it in the keg anyway for the hell of it. Suppose I should just drink it and see if it gets me drunk haha.

Thanks for your help! Big fan of the site!

Sounds like beer to me. If you post the recipe & procedures we might be able to tell you why it tastes sweet.

BTW once you have pitched yeast it is no longer wort, it's barm.

What are you measuring your SG with after fermentation has begun? If it's not a hydro, you may need to correct your numbers. +1 to hearing about your process and recipe

Thanks for the quick response guys! The recipe was from this forum, Deception Cream Stout originally posted by NCbeernut. Followed it pretty much to the letter:

6.5 or 7 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.5 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Lactose (Boil 10 min)

0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU

1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min)

Mash 60 min @ 152

I know it's supposed to be pretty sweet, just thought the combination of no bubbles + no krausen + no yeast cake + sweet beer was suspicious. I use a hydrometer to take readings, although I'm still pretty new to it. Thanks again!

It's the lactose. Even without leaving a huge FG, lactose, imo, can be very, very sweet. Generally speaking, milk stouts are a little sweet. This sounds perfectly normal to me, especially at only 27 IBU's. Congratulations!!! You have beer!!

Original recipe called for Wyeast 1450 (Dennys Favourite), but it was out of stock. Used Wyeast 1028, fermented at 66 degrees in primary for 30 days. No secondary fermentation. Didn't cold crash at all.

It's the lactose. Even without leaving a huge FG, lactose, imo, can be very, very sweet. Generally speaking, milk stouts are a little sweet. This sounds perfectly normal to me, especially at only 27 IBU's. Congratulations!!! You have beer!!

Awesome!! Thanks man!!

I agree with big ed. A recipe would help. You may have gotten a little dryer depending on your recipe and procedure..

And I'm a slow typer...

Latest posts

Back