Beer not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sexton69

Reaction score
I bought one of those mr beer machines and the beer is a over a week old and still no fermenting ..no bubbles..nothing..what do I do now

Are you sure it didn't ferment? Sometimes it happens so fast you miss it. Pull a sample and see what it tastes like. Even better, if you have a hydrometer, pull a sample and check the gravity. If the beer tastes like beer, its been fermenting. If it tastes like sweet, bitter, boozeless water then it hasn't.

What temp was the wort when you pitched the yeast?

bubbles have nothing to do with fermentation. best way is to check with a hydrometer and check the gravity of it

What should the hydrometer read for number if it fermented? Sorry it's my first time! So it doesn't naturally carbonate itself I have to do it..?

well if its a sealed container it should carbonate itself. but usually you ferment first then add the carbonating sugar to get it to carbonate itself. your looking for a hydrometer reading around 1.15 i would say on avg if you dont know where you started at. but just check 3 days in a row and if its the same then your done fermenting

The kit should have information for FG, what is the hydrometer reading? If its below 1.030-1.040 then I'd say it has fermented some. It'll likely finish anywhere from 1.010-1.020, it just depends on the beer.

After fermentation is complete, you'll have to add more sugar when you bottle to carbonate. This is considered "natural carbonation" because the yeast consume this sugar to carbonate the beer. The alternative is force carbonation where you add pure Co2 in a kegging setup. If it's a mr. beer kit, they advise you to add the sugar to each bottle.

Back