Beer Machine defoamer disks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knittycat

Reaction score
I picked up a beer machine set up from my local thrift store for 15 bucks. It was complete (minus the beer mix, but that was no big loss. As far as I could tell it was just a cheap DME kit, and the reviews are universally bad) and had a spare co2 cartridge. The one thing it was lacking was the defoamer disks. The pressure release/krausen/defoamer set up is pretty ingenious, if you ask me, as it allows you to fill the keg fuller than you could otherwise.
The co2 cartridges are cheap from amazon, but the defoamer disks seem to be only available from the beer machine website. The price (1.26 for 3) isn't too bad, but the cheapest shipping is 3.00 dollars. You need a new disk for each batch.
Does anybody know what the defoamer disks were made of and what they were treated with? As far as I can tell, they're a thick multi-ply type paper foam treated with some sort of food safe anti-foaming agent.
Does anybody have any clues what I might be able to use to make my own, or if it's even a critical part?

Holy **** its a matrix ripple! The exact same thing just happened to me. I got the Canadian beer machine with the ol men in a canoe, no disks. Prolly got stopped at the border. I'm goin ahead without em. If it gets foamy I'll eat foam.

Back