Beer lost flavor after bottling??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefrayser

Reaction score
Before I bottled my beer had a honey taste. I bottled the beer and its been sitting for 9 days. I decided to try one to see how its coming along. I put 2 in fridge yesterday and popped the top on one. There is no honey taste at all. How could it loose the honey taste from bottling? Its a good smooth beer but when I sampled the brew when obtaining the FG at bottling it had a sweet tea taste. Is this normal for a Honey Wheat beer?

A lot of the time this can be because the yeast is still working on carbonating the beer. I have gotten some strange flavors from this process. I tend to wait at least 2 weeks to taste any of my bottled/kegged batches. I figure this way I am not wasting any of the good tasting beer that is coming soon.

Just wait it out and I can almost guarantee that the flavor will come back.

If you want honey taste or smell, use honey malt.
Put honey in so you can say its a honey beer, but use the honey malt.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just wait it out man, it will taste completely different once it's fully carbonated. More than likely you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I think the process is just not finished yet, it is a good temp in your closet, so wait at least a week.

I had this kind of thing happen with my Vanilla porter I made for Christmas. It was a pb/pm biab robust porter with two chopped & scraped vanilla beans soaking in a small jar of vodka during primary. I added the strained,resulting solution to my priming solution to bottle. Flat out of the primary,it tasted like Euro chocolate with vanilla,roastiness on the back. Perfect,I thought. After some 3-4 weeks carb/condition time & a week in the fridge,the chocolate qualities were all but gone. I guess the carbonation (to style) brought out some flavors more,other flavors lessened. The nearest I can figure is to use more chocolate malt?...I still wonder about this myself?...:confused:

Back