Beer line length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgian Samurai

Reaction score
Ok, I know there are so many posts on this topic, some of which I've read, but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it.

From what I've gathered, it is dependent on beer style (FG) as well keezer temp, but let's I don't want to complicate it with long mathematical equations. I heard that 36-38° is optimal for pouring beer with minimal/no foam.

I also read that you measure distance from the back of tap to the center of the top of the keg, but as you see, that is a pretty short throw, so ... I am using 5mm EVA-Barrier tubing. How long should my line be?

As you can see, I don't even know if I'm correctly asking the question.

PXL_20210406_180747294.jpg

PXL_20210406_180712432.jpg

Thanks!

5mm ID EVABarrier tubing is slight wider bore than the 3/16" ID (0.1968" vs 0.1875") pretty near everyone has used for decades for dispensing beer at home. For that diameter, The rule of thumb for 3/16" ID PVC is 1 foot of line per CO2 PSI, but you can be sure the 5mm OD needs more than the 3/16" line.
Otoh, the 4mm ID EVABarrier is only 0.1575" wide, and amazingly enough, one can use very close to 1/2' foot per PSI.

You could use the only beer line length calculator worth using with those numbers to see the effect.

But before cutting any tubing, make sure you know the actual CO2 pressure you want to support, using our favorite carbonation table. On the vertical axis, find the temperature you'll be keeping your beer, then go across that row until you get to the closest "volumes of CO2" where 2.4~2.5 are about right for most ales, then go up that column to find the pressure to use to hit and maintain that carbonation level. That is the pressure you want to support with your beer lines...

Cheers!

Okay, this is the results that were given me per info entered into the calculator.

When deciding between the 4mm vs 5mm, I really liked what I read about 4mm line lengths, but sadly I had to opt for the 5mm variant, due to the non-removable 1/4in (6.5mm) hose barb size on this particular forward-sealing Farroday shanks. The 4mm variant just would not have fit, even with a hot-water dip. I was also getting tired of pressing the "add another expense" button (haha) to my credit card for this keezer build. It's a shame, because their 12yrd/39ft line isn't going to be enough for 4 kegs.

UPDATE:
I will just have to purchase another roll of the 5mm line.

Screenshot_20210406-135509.png

Last edited:
But before cutting any tubing, make sure you know the actual CO2 pressure you want to support, using our favorite carbonation table. On the vertical axis, find the temperature you'll be keeping your beer, then go across that row until you get to the closest "volumes of CO2" where 2.4~2.5 are about right for most ales, then go up that column to find the pressure to use to hit and maintain that carbonation level. That is the pressure you want to support with your beer lines...

Cheers!
Okay, so I shouldn't cut any lines until I get ready to keg a beer. Got it!

Thanks, DayTrippr!

Well...if you understand the concept of "chart pressure", and take a bit of time to consider "what is the highest carbonation level I might want some day?" (as some styles enjoy higher effervescence - like saisons, some wheat beers, etc) you can use that value - let's say "3 volumes", plug that into the carbonation table, see what pressure pops out, then tune your line diameter x lengths to handle that pressure, and you'll be covered up to there.

The lesser carb'd beers will take just a tiny bit longer to pour, but you won't have to deal with changing lines from one style of beer to a more bubbly style :)

Cheers!

Okay, this is the results that were given me per info entered into the calculator.

When deciding between the 4mm vs 5mm, I really liked what I read about 4mm line lengths, but sadly I had to opt for the 5mm variant, due to the non-removable 1/4in (6.5mm) hose barb size on this particular forward-sealing Farroday shanks. The 4mm variant just would not have fit, even with a hot-water dip. I was also getting tired of pressing the "add another expense" button (haha) to my credit card for this keezer build. It's a shame, because their 12yrd/39ft line isn't going to be enough for 4 kegs.

UPDATE:
I will just have to purchase another roll of the 5mm line.

View attachment 724834

You can make a junction of the 4mm to 5mm just before the barb. They have the same OD. You could put in a shutoff valve and then you'd have the 5mm at the barb and 4mm everywhere else. That's what I did for my picnic taps/Pluto guns.

You can make a junction of the 4mm to 5mm just before the barb. They have the same OD. You could put in a shutoff valve and then you'd have the 5mm at the barb and 4mm everywhere else. That's what I did for my picnic taps/Pluto guns.
Edit:
I was half awake when I made this post and have since deleted my question in it.

Last edited:
I thought about all the line length calculations for a while...lots of opinions and variables...how cold is your beer. do you have individual regulators for each tap? different CO2 vols.

in the end I bought roll of the EVA stuff that uses the push fittings. 4mm or 3/16 I think. It seems the general consensus was 6 ft on average was a good spot.

Since it was a 25ft roll and I only had 3 taps I just did a 10ft line for one (hefe, pils, etc) and split the other two at 7.5 ft each to cover normal ales. I don't mid a slower pour. I could have made four 6 ft lines but only needed 3.

***EDIT*** looking at Williams brewing, they are sold in 39ft rolls so maybe I did 10/10/19? they are all coiled up in the kegerator so not looking forward to unrolling it all

I guess longer is better, more forgiving. You can always shorten a line. But can't make it longer.

Last edited:
Well, uncoiled everything...I'm running 10 ft lines on everything and some leftover line. No wonder I get good pours...and slow growler fills.

Guess I'll buy another 39ft roll for my 4 tap I'm building

Back