Beer leaked from keg into kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I'm posting this for a friend.......for real!

I've made a fair amount of beer, and if it were me I'd dump it. However my friend is just now getting into brewing, and half of his FIRST BATCH EVER some some reason leaked out of the tap into the bottom of his kegerator.

He asked me if he could siphon it out, add a couple camden tablets, and force carb. I say, "if you're cool with the cleanliness of the outside of your kegs and kegerator go for it."

Thoughts? I figure the worst that can happen is he does it, it doesn't taste good, and he dumps it.

it's 2.5 gallons where did it all go? it could not of stayed in the kegerator.

so 1. he keeps a perfectly sanitized house, so it's a pinesol beer.

or 2. he does not, and it's a new dust bunnie dirt beer.

3. how does he plan on sucking it up, i imagine him sucking it up with a straw then spitting it back into the keg, until he starts using paper towels or rags.....

Last week I got a leak and lost a good portion of beer from a keg. Never once did I even think about saving that beer! That just seems nasty!

Of course, he shouldn't drink it, or waste any time trying to save it. So many of our first brews were undrinkable. But what would the Camden tablets do anyway for this beer? That's for treating your water before you brew to get rid of chlorine.

Of course, he shouldn't drink it, or waste any time trying to save it. So many of our first brews were undrinkable. But what would the Camden tablets do anyway for this beer? That's for treating your water before you brew to get rid of chlorine.

Camden can be used as a no rinse sanitizer. It's what many of used 10-20+ years ago before starsan. Still a go to item for sanitizing crushed fruit to rid it of wild yeast.

The alcohol will keep most things from growing at this point anyhow. But with that said, I wouldn't drink the beer. It may sanitize but it won't get rid of the gunk/dirt/dust/oxygen that is now in the beer.

What did he have in this beer, something like $100 per gallon?

I wouldn't drink that again on a bet, much less without being paid to do it.

He learned an important lesson. I once lost a little beer from a picnic tap that turned on when the closing door of the refrigerator kicked it on. Fortunately I caught it almost immediately, but still.

Camden can be used as a no rinse sanitizer. It's what many of used 10-20+ years ago before starsan. Still a go to item for sanitizing crushed fruit to rid it of wild yeast.

The alcohol will keep most things from growing at this point anyhow. But with that said, I wouldn't drink the beer. It may sanitize but it won't get rid of the gunk/dirt/dust/oxygen that is now in the beer.

Just ran across this article and thought it was appropriate. If you can you can wrap your head around it, it probably won't hurt you drinking the beer. It may not taste good though and probably increases risk of premature oxidation though (if adding back to the keg).
----
I'm a Doctor. If I Drop Food on the Kitchen Floor, I Still Eat It. - The New York Times

https://apple.news/Ao8rZwWjLQhOxhAuIT6qoVA

Go buy him 3 extract kits at $15 each from the NB columbus day sale today. He can have something ready to go before his keg kicks, dirt cheep. Live and learn.

Back