Beer just reached 164 degrees in my Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
Hi. Brewed a batch of Blueberry Wit 2 weeks ago. I usually run the temp controller and aquarium heating tape to regulate fermentation but i didnt have it set up properly. I recently switched to the stainless steel bucket conical style and set it in front of a spot heater in my basement. Ive beem turning the heater on for an hour or so once a day jusyvto make surw the beer stays in the mid 60s to low 70s. Today i went to work for 16 hoirs and accidentally left it on all day. It never shut off and what i failed to realize with the stainless buckets is how well they conduct heat. Long story short we are at 164 degress right now. Took a sample and the beer is on fire. At this point i know the yeast is dead. I already lnow the answer but.... it has to go down the drain right?

I’d probably put it to a more normal temp and repitch. Worst case it’s still not good. But you might actually be ok. I think it’s worth the money for a little more yeast to try to get it fixed up before just dumping it completely.

All of the directly above...my guess is your beer is fine with perhaps some flavor loss / speed aging due to the very high collaring temps.

I’d have to think your fermentation is over given the warmer temps you’ve been keeping the beer at.

Definitely NOT down the drain!
Shortly after fermentation is over the flavor profile is set, and as I understand a short temperature spike is not ruining.

I have no problem repitching yeast but doesnt that fluctuation seem like it would produce alot of off flavors?

Cool it down and repitch. You never know...it might turn out OK. But you'll never know if you dump it.

p-10374-firebrew1-600x358.jpg

I have no problem repitching yeast but doesnt that fluctuation seem like it would produce alot of off flavors?

Cool it, take a gravity reading to see if it was finished and taste it to see if it's a phenolic nightmare. If you're not hurting for space you can always cool it repitch and let it sit for an extended period of time to see if the heart can clean it up.

I've read a lot of threads from people that went long the veins of "my beer was god awful but I let it sit and in 4 years it was the best beer I've ever made"

Beer is extremely forgiving and time and yeast can fix a lot of mistakes.

Back