Beer in Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AhrenKaie

Reaction score
Brewed Caribou Slobber Brown Ale from NB last month, and noticed beer on the floor in my garage surrounding the carboy. Active fermentation to say the least. Anyway, I also noticed that the sanitizing solution in the airlock had been contaminated with some of the blowoff. I made sure the airlock was still tightly sealed, but left everything alone, for fear of contaminating the batch.

2 weeks later, I bottled the beer, noticing a thick, spongy "head" in the mouth of the carboy (obviously left over from the blowoff). Beer has been bottle conditioning for 2 weeks now.

Will either the beer in the airlock or the strange, spongy stuff in the carboy indicate that the beer will be a FAIL? Lol.

The spongy stuff is just leftover krausen residue (foam created by fermenting beer).

No, nothing you described indicates that the batch will be bad.

Next time use a blowoff tube, and make sure you are keeping your fermentation temps in check.

If you get beer in your airlock, it won't hurt anything to remove the airlock, clean/sanitize it, and stick it back in. A few minutes without an airlock won't hurt anything, especially during active fermentation.

I hear a lot about blowoff tubes and krausen in the airlock.

I've only ever used a bucket for primary and never experienced the need for blowoff tube.

Anyone care to comment on the dis/advantages of carboy primary?

I think the carbon dioxide in the carboy would have displaced any oxygen. and unless you breached the seal you probably did not get contamination.

Stuff coming out is not as hazardous as something coming in. If it were me I would use a clean hand and gently wash everything outside with vodka. Just to kill anything that might try to grow on the exterior and might hitchhike during racking or bottling.

-A-

Anyone care to comment on the dis/advantages of carboy primary?

While we're at it, what are the advantages/disadvantages of employing a secondary fermenter?

Should I rehydrate my dry yeast or just sprinkle it in? Should I make a starter with it?

Should I filter my beer? Should I shake the keg to carbonate it faster?

Did I miss any? :)

While we're at it, what are the advantages/disadvantages of employing a secondary fermenter?

Should I rehydrate my dry yeast or just sprinkle it in? Should I make a starter with it?

Should I filter my beer? Should I shake the keg to carbonate it faster?

Did I miss any? :)

Batch sparge or fly sparge?

Why should I bother with either when I can BIAB?

Is AG really better than extract?

Which is better: bottling or kegging?

How do I get rid of "homebrew taste"?

Dry yeast or liquid yeast?

West Coast IPAs or East Coast IPAs?

Ford or Chevy?

Hot Side Aeration: Myth or Misunderstood?

We really are an argumentative bunch, at times. :fro:

Should I filter out trub, or dump it all in?

RIMS or HERMS? Gas or electric? Propane or NG?

Does clarity even matter?

Should I bottle immediately after fermentation ends, or leave it on the yeast for seven years?

Is carbonic bite really a thing?

How can I block a moderator? An Admin? How do I block this "Yooper" guy?

Is it okay to drink the occasional BMC, or should I be ostracised?

How do I ice brew my beer?

Is there a difference between ice brewed & frost brewed?

How can I make a low cal beer, something like Miller 64?

Back