Beer in Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarx13

Reaction score
Has any had or heard of a situation where beer came up through the airlock during fermenting?
I assumed that it was because it was a hard fermenting and came through the only hole available.

Yes. It's blowoff. Keep the airlock clean or you'll mop the ceiling. LOL. An alternative would be to use a blow off tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All of the water was gone and beer had pushed out through the top of airlock. This was within 12 hours of my pitching yeast into an IPA.

I used sanitizer to clean up the bucket and around the airlock hole. I also cleaned out the airlock with sanitizer and then quickly put it back in place. Fermentation seems to have calmed down.

Is there a substantial risk of bacterial infection? Anything else I should do? This is my first IPA and it take 8 weeks to complete, so I would hate to lose this batch.

You're good man. In the future get some 5/16" tubing and shove it in the hole you put your airlock in and run it into a bucket of sanitizer solution. You basically just make a much bigger airlock that won't explode all over the place if your fermentation goes a little nuts.

Keep an eye on it, but if you're a few days in now you shouldn't have to worry about it happening again.

Thanks. The fermentation activity has slowed quite a bit since the initial blowoff. Still bubbling about once every 20-30 seconds.

Latest posts

Back