Beer Gun with room temp keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's said to use the blichmann beer gun with cooled beer and bottles but has anyone ever tried naturally carbonating a keg and then bottling from the keg with the beer gun without cooling it down? Just trying to keep from having to change the temp of my beer more times that necessary.

never tried to do it with a warm keg, I woul imagine that since at warmer temp there is less co2 disolved in the beer, if you managed to avoid the foam issue, your bottles would be under carbed. However I am guessing here, maybe someone who has tried it can chime in.

Although I have never done it, I am 99% sure it would be a huge mess. Why not mix the beer in the keg with the sugar and then immediately use the beergun to fill from the keg and let the beer carbonate in the bottle.

I've considered this, in mind alone, for the reason of time. It is recomended to bottle condition beer for at least 3 weeks but you can force carb in 3 days. Might be an issue if you need bottles fast. IDK probably gonna be a pain in you know what. If only HB's could buy patience at the LHBS! ;)

Although I have never done it, I am 99% sure it would be a huge mess. Why not mix the beer in the keg with the sugar and then immediately use the beergun to fill from the keg and let the beer carbonate in the bottle.

Thanks guys, I kind of figured it wouldn't work myself but wanted to double check. I do like the idea of mixing the priming sugar then bottling immediately although I only use 1/3 cup to prime kegs and 3/4 cup to prime bottles. Seems like doing it that way would leave your bottles a little undercarbed as well. For now I'll just have to cool the kegs a couple days prior to bottling then let them come back to room temp afterwards. If only I had tons of money, patience, and space in the house for my beer LOL

Thanks guys, I kind of figured it wouldn't work myself but wanted to double check. I do like the idea of mixing the priming sugar then bottling immediately although I only use 1/3 cup to prime kegs and 3/4 cup to prime bottles. Seems like doing it that way would leave your bottles a little undercarbed as well. For now I'll just have to cool the kegs a couple days prior to bottling then let them come back to room temp afterwards. If only I had tons of money, patience, and space in the house for my beer LOL

Mix the 3/4 cup up with the beer and bottle immediately, you will not be carbing in the keg, so you should end up with properly carbed beer in the bottle.

Salute! :mug:

Mix the 3/4 cup up with the beer and bottle immediately, you will not be carbing in the keg, so you should end up with properly carbed beer in the bottle.

Salute! :mug:

That would work if I were to bottle all 5 gallons of beer, but that never happens.

I have a Barleywine style ale that I have cooled down to 40 and force carbonated. Now, I want to fill about a case of bottles and put the beer away again for 3-4 more months at room temperature. Is this a bad idea or can I get away with it?

bottling from a warm keg IS a mess. You will lose all carbonation as your beer turns to foam and goes all over the place. I tried. I use carb tabs and fill my bottles prior to carbing the keg now. Your bottles naturally carb over time and you can force carb your keg after bottling (or naturally carb the keg too if you want).

One more question that sort of deals with this: How bad is it for your beer to get cooled to 45F then bring it back up to room temps for a few months, then cool it down again for serving?

Back