Beer Gun Users HELP!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewiz

Reaction score
All you "Beer Gun" user could you please post your procedures for using your "Gun"? i.e. CO2 pressure? Fluid pressure?:drunk:

I bought one and haven't used it yet, so I will be watching this thread as well. Looks pretty simple, but I haven't even read my instructions to see if it says there. I would think a lower pressure than typical serving, but:confused: .

I use about 3 PSI when using the beer gun. I bleed off the pressure from the keg (the normal 11-12 PSI I use for serving) first.

I bought one about 6 months ago.

It's a great toy, and does a good job filling bottles.

One thing to remember is the 10' of tubing is at room temperature. You can see "backflow" of bubbles (CO2) in the tubing. If you could keep this ice cold, you would not have to purge the gun before each filling.

I sanitize my bottles (Iodophor), take CO2 to displace the Iodophor, then put a 2" x 2" aluminum foil cap on the bottle.

Even with purging, I use the beer gun's purge feature. Guess I'm REALLY paranoid about staling beer.

No matter how fast I go, I always have to purge the line before clear beer will flow through the gun.

I do have to reduce the pressure to avoid foaming.

NEVER, NEVER change the pressure on your CO2 cylinder once you are happy with the fills. This changes everything (been there, have the hat and t-shirt). I think this is something very basic and maybe I'm a doofus, but have not seen this statement made before). Once you are keyed in, just keep filling at the same pressure.

It's a great toy (oops, meant tool). I think it's worth the money.

A neighbor gave me a custom made beer "gun" mounted on a bench capper (with the capping part removed). Made in saskatchewan by some engineer that wanted to bottle his kegged beer and made a few of these for sale.

I haven't tried it yet.

Pictures.....We want pictures of that capper mounted beer bottle filler-sounds like a good idea. Shane

Here you go!

2186-Bottle_filler006Small.jpg

2186-Bottle_filler003Small.jpg

2186-Bottle_filler005Small.jpg

CO2 goes in on the left with a valve. Forgot to take pic of that side.

2186-Bottle_filler004Small.jpg

interesting, it looks like it is just a mounted counter pressure bottle filler.

It seems to me like I lose some carbonation in the process. So I try the bump the pressure up in the cornie a day before I bottle. You got to be careful here if you over carbonate you'll get nothing but foam. Then when I fill the bottles I drop the pressure on the cornie as low as I can get it and still push the beer out.
I usually take the CO2 off the cornie then pull the pressure relief valve Then I only put it back and give it a little squirt of pressure if I need more to continue pushing the beer out. Having chilled bottles helps too.

That being said I like a lot of carbonation. Other people like Orfy for instance don't so there's the matter of personnal preference.

I think you'll like it. It's a cool toy.:mug:

chill everything as much as you can to the same temperature, the colder, the better generally.

it works best with two people, that way you are constantly using the gun and beer is flowing through the tubing, and doesn't have time to let co2 come out of solution in the lines. one person is a dedicated capper. a bench capper also works very well for this.

Just in case the 2 person option is not open.

I also keep a gallon jug (glass) half-full of Star San that I use as a holder for the gun while I'm capping the bottles.

Back