Beer Gun / BMBF Cleaning-Sanitation Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
Hey all - So I have determined that I really need to be able to bottle from a keg for a variety of reasons. I tried to search for this answer, but couldn't find it.

How do you guys clean and sanitize your lines before bottling? I usually clean beer lines by mixing some BLC (or similar) in a keg and using CO2 to run it through the lines. Then rinse and sanitize, again using CO2. When bottling from a keg, I presume that both my kegs will have beer (and I wish to empty one into bottles). So, I won't have a keg to act as a vessel for cleaning/sanitizing/etc using the CO2 method described. Now what?

I'm sure there's a simple answer/solution, but I don't know what it is. :confused:

Thnaks.

They get sanitized before beer goes in them for tapping the keg. After that I only sanitize my bottles. But I've not botteled anything for long term storage using a BMBF. it's for bottling a 6er or so to go with me to a party or whatnot.

Normally I just completely submerge in sanitizer and run some through it before bottling. But if I bottled something with Brett or bacteria in it I will take all the plastic off of it and bake it for a while.

If I'm using the black QD, beerline and picnic (cobra) tap, I just use a screwdriver to take apart the QD and drop the three little parts in some sanitizer, pour the sanitizer through the beerline out through the picnic tap and then put it back together. I stick the tap into the bowl of sanitizer, too. It sounds like alot of steps, but it takes less than five minutes.

I also have a keg dedicated to starsan mixed with distilled water, that I use for sanitizing line, fittings, beer gun, etc...
If you have 2 kegs and they are both full of beer, sounds like you need another keg. You can clean and sanitize the beer gun as others have described here, or if you have space for another keg adding a third should be a fairly inexpensive option. Since you already have all the kegging equipment... go for it.

Ed

I also have a keg dedicated to starsan mixed with distilled water, that I use for sanitizing line, fittings, beer gun, etc...
If you have 2 kegs and they are both full of beer, sounds like you need another keg. You can clean and sanitize the beer gun as others have described here, or if you have space for another keg adding a third should be a fairly inexpensive option. Since you already have all the kegging equipment... go for it.

Ed

Definitely considered this option, but trying to hold back.

I think some combination of Kilted/Yooper ideas will take care of me for now.

Cheers all!

I have the beergun and I let it all take a swin in starsan before hooking it up to the keg. to clean it, I take the gun itself apart and rinse, and just run water through the tubing. Never had an issue. I've stored beers for 6+ months bottled this way.

I drop the picnic tap and piece of racking cane in a bucket of star-san. I also store my kegs with a couple cups of star-san in them so I just hook the line up to an empty keg and push some star-san through the line, then off to bottling.

Back