Beer going bad during the summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I do have to inform customers but like I said the customers are pretty forgiving. I think the thing is that homebrewers are just what the title says, they brew at home. Most of our customers have little to no beer knowledge they just like the beer they get in the end and if they don't we refund them or let them make another beer. I think of this place as a mr. Beer kit, a step to serious homebrewing except the customers done clean any mess and their wives don't yell at them for the smell

You're doing fine incredityler. I completely misunderstood the situation and for that I apologize. Now that I know what's going on, I'm still jealous. You're still around brewing all day while I'm riding a desk. You have a cool job. Hopefully you can get in the owner's ear and get those ferm temps under control. Do you also have the unfortunate duty of informing the customer when their beer doesn't turn out?

People that dumb can NOT be paying incredityler what he is worth.

Don't quit your desk job.

I really have done a lot of research, and despite this thread ruining my credibility of having any beer knowledge i take this stuff seriously and I love brewing. I learned a lot from this thread and I've talked to the owner about fixing things

If anything its the owner of the BOP that you work for who's credibility is all out the window. i mean what kind of idiot opens a BOP without any knowledge of how to brew. Its obvious the owner knows nothing about brewing since he doesn't even care for controlled fermentation temps. If i was going to go to a BOP and pay them to use their equipment, id expect gygcol chilled conical fermentors.

People that dumb can NOT be paying incredityler what he is worth.

Don't quit your desk job.

They're probably not dumb and lack of temperature control was very likely an intentional cost-control measure. They probably realize that it costs far more to control temperature than it does to refund the ocassional customer, because most of the customers really are clueless when it comes to brewing and wouldn't know a bad tasting beer if it hit them in the face.

They're probably not dumb and lack of temperature control was very likely an intentional cost-control measure. They probably realize that it costs far more to control temperature than it does to refund the ocassional customer, because most of the customers really are clueless when it comes to brewing and wouldn't know a bad tasting beer if it hit them in the face.

That was probably the case when the place opened, but now with people being more into craft beer either this place needs some changes or it won't last long.

Is there a BOP like that in this world?

idk.. what im saying is that id expect much better equipment than what an average home brewer would have. And a lot of home brewers have ways to control fermentation temps. mostly via chest freezer or minifridge. So with that said to go up would be conical fermentors with glycol chilling.

That was probably the case when the place opened, but now with people being more into craft beer either this place needs some changes or it won't last long.

I would think you would want to invest the money to control the fermentation temps so that your customers get GOOD beer consistently so that they would keep coming back and using the place. Also if the beer is really good then they will help advertise via word of mouth.

Also you should address with the owner about the under pitching issue. I would think you could sell more yeast as well. tell the customers that they can call ahead and pay extra for you to make a starter for them or they can buy extra yeast when its time to pitch.

Yes I do have to inform customers but like I said the customers are pretty forgiving. I think the thing is that homebrewers are just what the title says, they brew at home. Most of our customers have little to no beer knowledge they just like the beer they get in the end and if they don't we refund them or let them make another beer. I think of this place as a mr. Beer kit, a step to serious homebrewing except the customers done clean any mess and their wives don't yell at them for the smell

It is a sad to see a company decide that their customers won't know better and they'll actually just refund the ones who do. Why not actually run a good business and do your best to actually make a great end product?

Couldn't disagree more.

Temp control is relatively inexpensive compared to refunds and RUIN OF REPUTATION.

It is only time before this runs rampant on EVERY brew forum in the USA.

WHERE IS THIS PLACE?

We're working on the fermentation room now as I have brought it to the owners attention.

As for pitch rate, are the guidelines different for partial mash brewing vs. all-grain.

My goal obviously was not to bring the business I work for down to the ground. This is how I scrape by and pay rent for the time being, that being said there are these things that I'm trying to convey to other people here to try and fix problems

Okay I didn't read too much but I thought using malt extract may have made the yeast's job easier.

I'm working all these things out with my boss and I think things are headed in the right direction

However, the attenuation of extract worts is often lower than the all grain equivalent. Under pitching can make this worse. The best solution is appropriate pitching of healthy yeast and ramping the temperature up during fermentation, as well as modification of the recipe to compensate.

However, the attenuation of extract worts is often lower than the all grain equivalent. Under pitching can make this worse. The best solution is appropriate pitching of healthy yeast and ramping the temperature up during fermentation, as well as modification of the recipe to compensate.

What temp are you talking? Because this whole thread has been about how the temp is too high in the room

What temp are you talking? Because this whole thread has been about how the temp is too high in the room

That is true. You'll want to keep the temperature of the beer steady between 64-68 degrees (dependent on the type of yeast and beer style of course). However, as fermentation slows down (could be 48 hours after pitching, could be 4-5 days), it's important to start ramping up the temp, preferably slowly, to about 70 or so. This helps the yeast finish its job eating sugars, and also allows them to clean up off-flavors before going dormant.

Okay so it's still too hot, I've been monitoring the temps since I started the thread, it's a constant 72 to 74 during the day and I'm working out a plan for fixing the temp right now

Okay so it's still too hot, I've been monitoring the temps since I started the thread, it's a constant 72 to 74 during the day and I'm working out a plan for fixing the temp right now
What yeast is being used? Are they using the same strain for all brews?

Based on some things you've written it sounds like maybe you don't brew or are new to brewing, which is totally cool, but please tell me these owners of this business brewed before (more than once)?

There's 12 different strains we use, the most common is 1056. I was new to it when I started here, still have lots to learn but I have learned a lot. The owner claims to have been a homebrewer but i don't think he was an avid brewer

What yeast is being used? Are they using the same strain for all brews?

Based on some things you've written it sounds like maybe you don't brew or are new to brewing, which is totally cool, but please tell me these owners of this business brewed before (more than once)?

And yes I don't brew very much I've brewed 3 batches in the last 2 years. So I consider myself pretty new to brewing although I know our ingredients very well

72-74 ambient means at least 75-77 in the ferment without temp control. Way too hot for 1056 or any other yeast except Saisons and a few other Belgians.
Add underpitching by a factor of 2.5+ too and you're almost guaranteed to make bad beer that gets dumped.

Yeah that's what I'm learning, it only really happens less that 10 times a year, that number should be 0 tho

Latest posts

Back