Beer gas options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I want to do Cold Brew Coffee in the hot months, and I'd like to consider a nitro stout/porter or some such in the winter. I'm told that for coffee I should run straight nitro.

Is my only realistic option to purge the bottle when I switch from straight nitro to beer gas? Looks like all the blending devices are 600-700 and up.

Is there an affordable option?

I have something similar in mind. I was thinking to charge the beer with CO2 and use up the remaining nitrogen and fill with beer gas on the next fill. As the CO2 partial pressure will decay over time, it would require periodic re-charging, but only a stop-gap to use up whatever nitro might be remaining in the tank.

From what I gather, nitro and beer gas are gaseous at tank pressures, so the same tank size doesn’t last nearly as long as CO2.

From what I gather, nitro and beer gas are gaseous at tank pressures, so the same tank size doesn’t last nearly as long as CO2.

Its not as bad as you think though as beer gas/nitro run at much higher tank pressures(~2400 psi vs 750 psi). I just emptied my first beer gas tank, same size as a 10 lb CO2 tank, and it lasted me almost 7 kegs if my notes are correct.

Back