Beer Garden Kit: Anyone use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHeads

Reaction score
My sister got me a beer garden kit from think geek for Christmas.

You grow:
Hops (doesnt say what type)
Wheat
Barley

Interested to see if anyone has used it before? It's obviously not a pro type kit but should be interesting.

I'll be sure to post up pictures when I get it going

I hate to burst your bubble, but it sounds like just a fun gimmick to me. You're not going to grow enough quality wheat or barley to be able to malt it and make beer. At my house, the cats would just eat it. As for the hops, did they send seeds or a rhizome (root that looks like a stick)? If seeds, there's a good chance the plant that grows won't produce cones because it's the wrong gender.

Grow and enjoy. Then tell your friends that the beer they're drinking was made from barley and hops you grew yourself. ;)

wrench said:
I hate to burst your bubble, but it sounds like just a fun gimmick to me. You're not going to grow enough quality wheat or barley to be able to malt it and make beer. At my house, the cats would just eat it. As for the hops, did they send seeds or a rhizome (root that looks like a stick)? If seeds, there's a good chance the plant that grows won't produce cones because it's the wrong gender.

Grow and enjoy. Then tell your friends that the beer they're drinking was made from barley and hops you grew yourself. ;)

I figured as much. My sister wouldn't know. I wasn't planning on using any of it to brew.. I'd need a whole yard of barley to do that

actually depending on space available the homebrewers garden claims that a plot 800 square ft can yeild enough barley to do five ag batches. so a 13x13 plot should in theory yeild enough for 1 5g batch. could in theory be fun.

tchuklobrau said:
actually depending on space available the homebrewers garden claims that a plot 800 square ft can yeild enough barley to do five ag batches. so a 13x13 plot should in theory yeild enough for 1 5g batch. could in theory be fun.

Hmmm maybe... Well see. I'm gonna do it for fun.. No point in letting it go to waste.

I'm really interested to see what the so called "hops" come out like since they are from seeds?

lol oh did not catch that the hops were seeds. Crap shoot on wether u get males or femles.

Back