Beer fridge/freezer...How Cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Botanist~

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got a 20 cu ft deep freeze off craigslist, and will pick up a temp controller and another corny keg tomorrow.

I am still very new at this so my question is what is the lowest temp that you would lager or serve a beer at? I can get a fridge for next to nothing, and my girlfriend and I have been wanting a deep freezer for while now.....plus I am only going to have a couple corny kegs for now anyway. If a fridge will work fine, then it doesn't seem logical for me to put taps in the deep freeze and dedicate it when it could be put to much better use.

I know that a large benefit of only having a couple kegs in it would be the abillity to lager, which I have been wanting to try, but if I could fit 2-3 corn'y and a 5g carboy in a stand up fridge I think that would set me up. I'll go through the side so the co2 tank doesn't need to be inside the fridge.

Thanks in advance

B

Well the lagering temps will vary from yeast to yeast but from basically about low 40's to high 50's. That, most of the time will be to warm for most fridges to get unless you throw a thermostat controller on it. Even at the warmest setting my fridge only gets to 42, thats too warm for food and not cold enough to lager. Go with the chest freezer. That way you can lager and serve beer from it once you convert it to a keezer(you know you will)

Hey Arneba28, and thanks for the reply.

So either route I go I will need a controller.

If I can get a fridge for cheap I will probably go that route. My primary concern was if the required temp was below the fridge temp, but it sounds like it s above from what you say.

Thanks

B

Back