Beer Brewing Service San Francisco Bay Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaloAltoMark

Reaction score
Hi All:

Hoping some of you may recall the name of this company....

At one point, I believe there was a company that let you brew beer using their equipment. It was positioned as a party service where a bunch of guys could get together and make a batch of beer and then come back at a later date and bottle it.

Does anyone know the name of that service in San Francisco or of similar services elsewhere?

Thanks

-Mark

To be honest I am uncertain of anywhere like that in the Bay Area. Seems like it would be a big liability, especially in this state.

Glad to see another local! My location says Santa Cruz, but I am currently in Mountain View.

Sacramento had a business named Brew it Up - a 'You brew' business model with a restaurant and bar. Pretty good selection of brews on tap too... was that is; they went out of business a few weeks ago. I was sad to discover this today. :eek:

It doesn't look like liability or legal concerns were involved in the decision (ah California). I think it might have been poor ownership and/or management decisions. I thought they had very tasty beers, some rather *meh* food and really variable customer service. Someone pointed out a general feeling of malaise caused by the mid-90's chain restaurant decor and attitude. Damned by faint praise?

Article:
<http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/54270/Downtown_brewpub_closes_for_final_time>

A short news clip:
<http://www.news10.net/video/1086793996001/0/Brew-it-Up-closing>

- M

woah, really?

i was there ~9 months ago. it was an interesting place. it was actually pretty busy, there were a few people brewing, some bottling, but a lot of people at the bar and restaurant.

They interviewed that guy on the Brewing Network. It was a different place than "brew it up" I bet if you emailed them they could tell you. It was a brewpub, distillery, and brew your own place.

You could just hook up with a homebrew guy in the area and brew beer on their equipment. What are you looking for exactly and how many people are involved? For instance, I have a single tier 10 gal sculpture in the brew cave someone could use. I'm too far away, but there has to be someone more local to you that would help.

Hi All:

Hoping some of you may recall the name of this company....

At one point, I believe there was a company that let you brew beer using their equipment. It was positioned as a party service where a bunch of guys could get together and make a batch of beer and then come back at a later date and bottle it.

Does anyone know the name of that service in San Francisco or of similar services elsewhere?

Thanks

-Mark

Ive been to brew it up. Its too bad they are closing they really had some excellent beers on tap namely their imperial stout.
I remember looking at the prices to brew your own beer. A five gallon batch was close to 120$. I could see people do that if their not sure about getting into the hobby. However I dont see the potential for a sustainable customer base. On the other hand it was always busy at the bar and restaurant when Ive been there so its a little puzzling.

Back