Beer brewer wanting to try a moscato. What do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfire12

Reaction score
Hi guys, I tried to search but didn't come up with a ton. I'm a beer guy, but recently had a few bottles of moscato wines that I enjoyed. They were beringer moscato and bosc moscato d'sati. Liked both of them, they're super sweet wines which is what i'm after. Can anyone recommend a kit for me?

I'm an all grain brewer so I have plenty of fermentor buckets, racking canes, as well as a 6.5 gallon big bubbler fermentor. I have a hydrometer and refractometer. Sanitation stuff... I guess what do I exactly need extra to make a wine? I'll just grab empty bottles from amazon and friends and i'm sure i'll need a tool to insert corks as well as the corks. What else will I need? Again, just want to make a moscato kit. From what I understand, they make 6 gallon batches, which is fine with me! Let me know where to start please!

I made both the Moscato and the Pink Moscato kits by Wine Expert.
I have been handing out the moscato to my friends and family and everyone says it taste great. Not having tried it myself, one day last week I opened a bottle after work. I ended up drinking the whole bottle. The Pink taste good at bottling, not ready for full test yet.
If I do another batch I wil only add 2/3 of the F-pack, just a bit over sweet for my taste. But if you like sweet it just might be perfect for you.
I went from beer making myself, wine kits make 6 gallons, you will need a about 8 gallon ferment bucket, (my vino vessel is 7.9) and a 6 gallon carboy, aside from that use the same stuff you use for beer.Unlike beer there is reasons to do a secondary fermentation on these kits, so the need for the carboy.
PS: on both kist I added 2 lbs. dextrose to boost the ABV a bit. the kits come out about 9% I boosted them to about 11%
You might also look at the Island mist line by Wine expert, I have done the pomegranate zinfandel and the strawberry white merlot, both delicious and on the sweet side.

Another option if you can still find them is a Juice bucket (if you're on the east coast, M&M might still have them), not as easy as a wine kit, but it will give you a great white wine that you can back sweeten to your preferred level of sweetness.
As a home brewer, you are already familiar with hydrometers, fermenters, yeast and so on, white wines are usually drinkable within 6 months give or take a month or two.
I usually make approx. 12 gals of Moscato, along with other whites every year.
If you'd like more info, let me know.

Williams Brewing, yes the beer brewing comoany, makes a 2 1/2 gallon Muscat kit.

You could bottle and cap with beer bottles, you already have them.

We had some friends over and they were tasting some of my wines and being very brutal in their comments...which I wanted to hear since I know squat about wines! They pretty much trashed my early efforts and they were right.

BUT...I had made a Island Mist Peach Apricot Chardonnay....they said it was a wonderful Moscato...not even close to a Chardonnay, but a really pleasant Moscato! It is a sweet wine (bumped with 3# of sugar) and it is a nice enjoyable wine....cheap too.

Latest posts

Back