Beer bottled, do i leave it out or put in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polom79

Reaction score
So after the two weeks for carbonation, do I need to place the bottles in the fridge or can I leave them out at room temperature until I am ready to drink them? Or do I need to place them in the fridge so they will not spoil?

Thx for any help

oy vey...

Bottle carbonate for 3+ weeks at 70F... Once carbonated chill bottles for consumption 4-7 days prior to opening in order to get the CO2 from the head space into the brew and to compact the trub/sediment on the bottom of the bottle...

I should put that in my signature... :facepalm:

"Schcrew you guyz, *I'M* going HOME!"

see above.

however, it takes my bottles longer in the fridge (than one week) for the gas to get absorbed.
ymmv. uuuh, actually I don't bottle anymore, but, well, yeah.

oy vey...

Bottle carbonate for 3+ weeks at 70F... Once carbonated chill bottles for consumption 4-7 days prior to opening in order to get the CO2 from the head space into the brew and to compact the trub/sediment on the bottom of the bottle...

I should put that in my signature... :facepalm:

You should have read the question. The OP has carbonated bottles and is asking about the optimal storage temperature for the period between carbonation completing and drinking, which may be much more lengthy than 4-7 days.

Beer staling occurs faster at higher temperatures so cold storage is generally preferred (exception for barleywines and RIS and other beers you may want to stale a bit before drinking).

Well made beer can handle a few months at room temp without significant degradation.

I know guys on here swear by the "optimum" time in the fridge, but I've had many that I move from my basement to the fridge the day I drink them, and I can't tell the difference from the ones that have been in the fridge longer than a week.

I know guys on here swear by the "optimum" time in the fridge, but I've had many that I move from my basement to the fridge the day I drink them, and I can't tell the difference from the ones that have been in the fridge longer than a week.

ditto! Sometimes only a couple of hours to give them a bit of a chill. As to the OPs question, answered I think, yes, you can store them at room temperature for a long time. No need to put them all in the 'fridge.

While a brew can be good after a short time in the fridge getting cooled down, it's even better once you've given it enough time for the trub to compact on the bottom of the bottle. This can take anywhere from a couple to several days. Most of the time, after about 4 days in the fridge, my brews pour nice and clear into the glass. If I pour after less than 2 days, not even close.

So ONCE the bottles are actually carbonated, I put enough into the fridge that I can drink what I normally do, refill from stock not in the fridge and not run out. Eventually, I plan to get a second fridge (not where I'm living now though) and I'll put more bottles in there to drink... Of course, I also plan on building a keezer and filling kegs at some point (but bottling some of each batch too) so I'll be able to pull from either source.

Try a longer chilling period on a couple of bottles of what you have on hand... I didn't think it would make any real difference either, until I experienced it... Of course, you won't be able to tell on things like porters and stouts (or things that are really dark/black)...

Latest posts

Back