Beer Bacon Music Festival

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever make a good bacon beer? I have not but I would tend to put it in a porter and maybe use some smoked malt?

I'm in under Belgian ales. Wish I'd seen it sooner so I could get something bigger ready, but I bet I can get a 1.070ish blonde ready to drink in 6 weeks. I'll make a medium-big saison for backup, those are always good fresh.

Tried to convince my wife to enter a beer too, since the pass is actually cheaper for competitors than non-competitors! She wouldn't hear about it... I swear I'd only help a little!

Anyone ever make a good bacon beer? I have not but I would tend to put it in a porter and maybe use some smoked malt?

I think most "bacon beer" just uses smoked malt, people don't usually want to get mixed up with oils (or meat). You can buy bacon extract that's made from autolyzed yeast and smoke extract, or you could probably make your own and skim the oil I guess.

Surprised there's so much room left in the rolls, when I signed up only specialty was filled (eyeroll). $40 to enter AND get a weekend pass is awesome. For real, no other HBT Marylanders up for this? Basically your last chance if you haven't started brewing, five weeks til first bottles are due.

LOL oh god, the email just said they have to be delivered by next Friday. And I'll be out of town Monday and Tuesday. Gotta bottle this sucker and mail it while I'm gone I guess. I wonder if I'll be arrested if they turn into bombs. I could absolutely swear I read the mailing deadline would be first week of May.

I kid about the bombs, it's done fermenting, but no cold conditioning, no time in the bottle... gonna be some beer they're getting!

Of course, I just filled my keg with dunkelweizen last night, so it's in use. Maybe I can overcarb slightly in a 2-liter tonight with my carbonater and then siphon to bottle...

I haven't checked it in a week, I don't even know if it's clear. Maybe I'll gelatin in the 2-liter too... :drunk:

I went to the one in North Carolina and it was a **** show. Not enough beer vendors for the amount of tickets. The only saving grace was I had VIP tickets that got me in 2 hours early. I had a decent amount of bacon, some beer and some bourbon. When general public came in, it was 20-25 in line for a pour.

I went to the one in North Carolina and it was a **** show. Not enough beer vendors for the amount of tickets. The only saving grace was I had VIP tickets that got me in 2 hours early. I had a decent amount of bacon, some beer and some bourbon. When general public came in, it was 20-25 in line for a pour.

Sounds like all the beer festivals I've been to so far. You wait in line for 10 minutes to get a couple of ounces of beer. No fun but since it's local...

That the one this March in Cary? From a glance it looks like they aren't related (hope not, anyway!).

LOL oh god, the email just said they have to be delivered by next Friday. I could absolutely swear I read the mailing deadline would be first week of May...

Yeah, I was surprised about the DELIVERY next week...also thought it was May. Fortunately, my bottles have been conditioning for a few weeks.

Got into the light category with my Kölsch. Have it in the fridge to try and get it as clear as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can't believe it--force carbed my Belgian blond in a 2-liter last night, and bottled it this morning. I just racked it slowly from the 2-liter, slightly overcarbed to compensate for any loss--enough, hopefully. It's clear (not crystal, but clear), dry, and good. WLP 550 is so kind to me. I bottled a fifth one to enjoy later, but the neck broke (@#$#ing New Belgium bottles! Second one that did that!), so I am having a morning beer instead:
wFUSI2u6.jpg

uso5a6yJ.jpg

Woohoo! Best luck, all!

Who sets a drop-off time at 3 on a weekday? Had to take off early to haul ass to Frederick (so, three 2hr round trips, three days in a row). Oh well, nice day for it.

Did anyone manage to actually get bacon?

Hey, it was great meeting you! Wish we spent more time together shooting the breeze and exchanging tasting notes. Got to do it again now.

Yeah, we did get bacon. But I surmise you didn't. :(,,,

Fortunate to be early, we were going through the "top" gate at 11:40, with maybe 30 people ahead of us. But by that time the line behind us was 1/4 mile long, and moving very, very slowly. They must have had at least one more entrance gate somewhere else, not sure, there were hardly any directional signs. Their UPC scanners were not working either.

We went to get some food first, because taps weren't open until 12pm. First we tried the "unlimited" bacon, and we got like 4-5 tiny strips each, but the lines were still short, so went through another time, for a total score of 8-12 small strips each. ":rockin:"

Not enough for laying a bottom we bought some excellent grilled "bacon" wrapped chicken and chicken croquettes from one of the food trucks. A+ for them!
Then we hit the taps.

Later on (3 pm-ish) we went back for more bacon and the lines were long and apparently there was no bacon left, except for a tray here and there being brought in which were distributed within 2 minutes flat. Skipped the idea. Got more beer instead. Who cares for pork rinds?

Right before closing a few of us were able to get a second helping of bacon. Again the offerings were very sparse, one occasional tray at a time. When we returned all taps were closed and being broken down.

Saturday I was pretty pissed. You'd spend 20 minutes for a beer, you couldn't even walk around, and by the time we hit the bacon (3pm?) it was essentially gone, two slices per person--but they didn't warn you, and the line was easily 30 min long. Basically I spent the whole day reading the back of one or another jackoff frat boy's t-shirt smelling his vape smoke, waiting for a tiny beer.

Sunday completely and totally made up for it. No lines for beer, almost no line even for the bacon. There were only about half as many people, but somehow that translated to no wait for anything. Amazing. It was like when I went to Disney on Christmas as a kid and you could just ride the rides over and over because no one was there.

'Course I didn't win ****, but it was a very good time. :) Though I did get sunburn on top of my poison ivy (not even @#$#ing summer yet)

Glad to hear Sunday was a success after Saturday's fiasco. Not having as many attendees makes a big difference on the event load.

Hey, it was great meeting you! Wish we spent more time together shooting the breeze and exchanging tasting notes. Got to do it again now.

Yeah, we did get bacon. But I surmise you didn't. :(,,,

Fortunate to be early, we were going through the "top" gate at 11:40, with maybe 30 people ahead of us. But by that time the line behind us was 1/4 mile long, and moving very, very slowly. They must have had at least one more entrance gate somewhere else, not sure, there were hardly any directional signs. Their UPC scanners were not working either.

We went to get some food first, because taps weren't open until 12pm. First we tried the "unlimited" bacon, and we got like 4-5 tiny strips each, but the lines were still short, so went through another time, for a total score of 8-12 small strips each. ":rockin:"

Not enough for laying a bottom we bought some excellent grilled "bacon" wrapped chicken and chicken croquettes from one of the food trucks. A+ for them!
Then we hit the taps.

Later on (3 pm-ish) we went back for more bacon and the lines were long and apparently there was no bacon left, except for a tray here and there being brought in which were distributed within 2 minutes flat. Skipped the idea. Got more beer instead. Who cares for pork rinds?

Right before closing a few of us were able to get a second helping of bacon. Again the offerings were very sparse, one occasional tray at a time. When we returned all taps were closed and being broken down.

Hey Frits,

It was awesome to put a face to your screen name, finally! It was also a pleasure to meet your wife :) Saturday wasn't half as much fun as Sunday but I tried too many beers in too little time :drunk:
I didn't win anything but my buddy took 3rd place with his Belgian (quad I think). I'm anxiously awaiting the score sheet though because I want to know if my beer was bad or just in the wrong category :)

Went Saturday with a group and back on Sunday for the Strong Ale announcement. Didn't even place but oh well.

Saturday actually wasn't too bad once we got in and worked our way around groups of people that wouldn't move out of the way of the taps once they go their beer. Getting in though took an hour and by the time we reached the gate they let people who were waiting like five minutes enter. Clearly over sold tickets for Saturday.

Got bacon, but that was because we went to the bacon hall early and only once. That was enough since the bacon wasn't too special.

Sunday was awesome though, even if I was by myself. Little to no lines. Chilled out for the extra hour listening to the first band before they announced the strong ale. Then went home a bit happier even if I didn't win anything.

Thank you sir. It was my first entry in a competition. Not sure I'll do it again though. I just wanted to see what feedback would look like on one of my favorite brews, even if it was over two years old.

I contacted Brian who sent out all the homebrew announcement if and when we "no-winners" would get our score cards and perhaps even a ranking. I haven't heard back yet but I'm not surprised since he most likely stopped reading emails after the disastrous feedback on social media sites.

I would be pissed about a commercial brewer, "Frey's Brewing Co.," who had a booth and was pouring at the festival, winning the grand prize.

I would be pissed about a commercial brewer, "Frey's Brewing Co.," who had a booth and was pouring at the festival, winning the grand prize.

Are you serious - They WON? Their beers were the worst of the entire festival! The Rye IPA was muddy and full of yeast, their other beer tasted like an ash tray. These were actually the only two beers that I tossed, although there were a couple of others that were bad....

Supposedly to enter you can't use commercial equipment. Maybe an employee of Frey's won, then? I mean that could be legit, but it's not a good idea. Presumably since the beers were judged in Florida (by a contractor or something?) there's at least no conflict of interests with the planners. I met a guy from DE who entered in the specialty category with his homebrew (didn't win) but who works for a brewery, I didn't see anything wrong with that and I don't believe it was against the rules (don't think his brewery was participating, though I think they footed him the trip to do "market research").

I have vaguely good recollection of Frey's IPA--didn't fall into the same cascade muddle as a lot of others--but it was not a beer I wrote down or anything.

Maybe next time they should entry free for homebrewers, but everyone has to supply a 1/2bbl. :drunk:

"It was all cuss words, demanding refunds without saying what happened," he said. "There's no way I can grow from that."

What a ****head--was he there? MacFawn knows what happened.

Again, Sunday was great, Saturday was really, really bad. Every single person who paid just for Saturday deserves a refund. Maybe gas money, too.

You put these events on to make money, and people pay you money for the good time they expect to have, so when MacFawn comes on with that "I just wanted everybody to have a good time" garbage I just want to spit on his shoes. What a clown. If you can't plan an event, pay someone who can.

We rented a 32' RV and camped behind the large VIP building in the racetrack infield. We had about a dozen or so friends go so after the festival ended we hung at the RV all night. Had a great time despite the organizational cluster _____.

I didn't really wait in line for anything but I know others did.

Supposedly to enter you can't use commercial equipment. Maybe an employee of Frey's won, then? I mean that could be legit, but it's not a good idea. Presumably since the beers were judged in Florida (by a contractor or something?) there's at least no conflict of interests with the planners. I met a guy from DE who entered in the specialty category with his homebrew (didn't win) but who works for a brewery, I didn't see anything wrong with that and I don't believe it was against the rules (don't think his brewery was participating, though I think they footed him the trip to do "market research").

I have vaguely good recollection of Frey's IPA--didn't fall into the same cascade muddle as a lot of others--but it was not a beer I wrote down or anything.

Maybe next time they should entry free for homebrewers, but everyone has to supply a 1/2bbl. :drunk:

What a ****head--was he there? He knows what happened.

Again, Sunday was great, Saturday was really, really bad. Every single person who paid just for Saturday deserves a refund. Maybe gas money, too.

Judging happened at multiple sites. I sent my Barleywine in to Colorado. Other's FL. I believe the IPA category was judged by F.O.A.M members. The best in show was basically the winner of all the categories and judged by a "celebrity" panel. I witnessed the second place best of show panel on Saturday and my god that seemed to be an epic fail.

Are you serious - They WON? Their beers were the worst of the entire festival! The Rye IPA was muddy and full of yeast, their other beer tasted like an ash tray. These were actually the only two beers that I tossed, although there were a couple of others that were bad....

Wow, everyone of the Frey's beers were terrible. We dumped them. I don't feel bad about not winning now.

Pretty sure second place was the celebrity panel. I don't know how they judged first place, if the mailed bottles didn't all go to the same place. I think it was in the event info.

EDIT:
The first place winners from each category win brewery-sponsored prizes of at least a $500 value and go on to compete for the final Best In Show Grand Prize of $6000, which is again judged by a panel of BJCP judges

I saw the second place judging and pretty quickly left after I didn't see my black bottle caps. Just a couple of old farts mumbling un-mic'd, didn't seem to be any point in doing that in front of people.

To be honest, it should have been a tipoff that the categories weren't even BJCP, and they didn't even make it clear what the equivalencies should be (it was mostly obvious, but they should be clear about it). Like, one category is just "Belgian beer"--so you can assume a wit should go there, but it's also a "wheat beer", so you have to just use BJCP to make an educated guess. Seems like the organizer had never even entered a competition.

I don't think this is true BTW. Fairly certain a woman one, not Adam Frey as the rumors seem to be saying.

A lady possibly in her 50s won the pale category with an IPA, I think, I know a lot of folks took notice of that--Beth something? I don't think she won best in show but I could be wrong.

If the event manager could do so much as send an email or post something on the website, we might actually know what's going on and be, I dunno, jazzed up to do it again next year. The whole thing just reeks of incompetence. Sunday was nice enough I'd consider it, but I'd rather find an event that's less of a crap shoot.

I don't know the truth of who won, but I will agree that Frey's beer was pretty awful. Guess the crazy names they had were an indication that their beer couldn't stand on its own.

Anyone know what they did with the Friday "drop-off beers" that weren't 1st or 2nd place finishers?

I don't know the truth of who won, but I will agree that Frey's beer was pretty awful. Guess the crazy names they had were an indication that their beer couldn't stand on its own.

Anyone know what they did with the Friday "drop-off beers" that weren't 1st or 2nd place finishers?

Excellent question! I wouldn't be surprised if they just tossed them. What a waste of time and beer! On the other hand they might have samples them and drunk the good ones.

Back