Beer as mash water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalkingGoats

Reaction score
I am all for experimenting, in my fridge I have a Lager that I screwed up by dramatically under-pitching(White Labs Oktoberfest). It was 50/50 Dark Munich/ Pilsner. Right now its sitting at 1020. I moved it into the fridge way too soon OG was 1060 and I moved it to the fridge at 1040.

Tomorrow I am planning an Oatmeal / Rye Stout and I would like to use this 5 Gal of beer instead of dumping it.

I have a 55lb bag of 2 row and other random ingredients laying around.

67% 10 0 American Two-row Pale
13% 2 0 Oat Malt
13% 2 0 Flaked Rye
7% 1 0 English Chocolate Malt

Hops will be 1 oz of Cascade, and 1 oz of Willamette @ 60 min

Yeast will be S-04

What say ye? I already know I am a weirdo.:tank:

You'll have pH issues for sure. Good beer finishes around 4.0-4.5. That would be a little too low for a proper mash.

While I can't speak scientifically on this, I'd imagine the enzymes either wouldn't work at all or would have issues operating with the alcohol present (and because of the pH issues).

I've never read or heard of this being tried, so might as well go for it, just don't expect much.

There has to be some kind of science with the alcohol in the beer and the mash. But, since this is homebrewing and I enjoy experiments as well, I say go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

I know Randy Mosher has mentioned 'double brewing' in Radical Brewing where brewers would use the first runnings of the first mash as the mash liquor for the second mash, which got you a mega beer at 1.2+ gravity that would then of course take years to age properly.

I have no idea if the alcohol would screw something up, but it does sound like a great way to experiment with something you were probably going to dump anyway.

Several years ago, there was a thread on here about someone doing just this. Not sure if they only used beer for the mash or a water/beer mixture. Try a search, but I'm not sure if it'll be easy to find.

Well even right now that lager is better tasting than coors. So I am going for it lol

It will be right at half of my total boil volume.

Well even right now that lager is better tasting than coors. So I am going for it lol

It will be right at half of my total boil volume.

Go down to where I-85 meets 52 and grab a Cajun filet biscuit, a Bo Berry biscuit, some seasoned fries and sweet tea at Bojangles. Once you've eaten that, it'd be tough for anything to ruin a day. Brew it however you want and let us know how it turns out. If it isn't good, just go back to Bojangles and repeat.

(long time NC guy transplanted to AK - no Bojangles here)

Life without a Bojangles must be brutal. Best fried chicken period.

I boiled this lager down to 2.5 gallons. Gravity is at 1045 and it tastes like honey? I am wondering if this will be like adding 2 lbs of Pils, and 2 lbs of 10L Munich to the grainbill.

The inner hipster in me is thinking 'do it, and add hops until its drinkable'...:drunk:

17555547.jpg

60 min mash @ 150

Post boil gravity is 1060 :(

So either the conversion was iffy or my mill is too coarse.

Was the best smelling boil yet at least. I doubled the hops 2 oz of cascade, 2 oz of Willamette both @ 60 min.

Tastes drinkable, so far all of my tasty brews have tasted good as wort.

Life without a Bojangles must be brutal. Best fried chicken period.

It sucks. Every time I go home I buy a CASE of the seasoning!

I'd be interested to know if that turns out well. I have an idea up my sleeve if it does...

I typically triple decoction mash, but for the sake of time I did only a single infusion with this one.

I did not stir the mash at all. Could one of the factors affecting my efficiency be that I did not 'dough-in' properly?

Go down to where I-85 meets 52 and grab a Cajun filet biscuit, a Bo Berry biscuit, some seasoned fries and sweet tea at Bojangles. Once you've eaten that, it'd be tough for anything to ruin a day. Brew it however you want and let us know how it turns out. If it isn't good, just go back to Bojangles and repeat.

(long time NC guy transplanted to AK - no Bojangles here)

Or you could just pour a gallon of pure chicken fat down your gullet and get the same effect.

I find Bojangles disgusting!

(But to each their own. :mug:)

Or you could just pour a gallon of pure chicken fat down your gullet and get the same effect.

I find Bojangles disgusting!

(But to each their own. :mug:)

I'm inclined to retaliate with the most vile of words. However, being a member of high society I will refrain from such actions reserved for the common man.

(See how I got my Charleston on there?)

In all sincerity, I loved it while I was there and I'd kill for it now that I can't get it anymore. Greasy? Yes. Amazing? Yes. Healthy? Welllll...

Again, to each his own. I'm sure we'll agree on Cheerwine.

I'm inclined to retaliate with the most vile of words. However, being a member of high society I will refrain from such actions reserved for the common man.

(See how I got my Charleston on there?)

In all sincerity, I loved it while I was there and I'd kill for it now that I can't get it anymore. Greasy? Yes. Amazing? Yes. Healthy? Welllll...

Again, to each his own. I'm sure we'll agree on Cheerwine.

Yes, there would be no need for said boorish behavior. Such a thing might end up with a challenge to a duel. (Also Charleston behavior. :p)

And although it has probably been a score of years since I've imbibed a Cheerwine, I do have found memories of the beverage.

Its not fermenting like the other 1060 beers I have brewed. Krausen has risen about 5 inches. Shot the airlock off and almost filled the recessed area of the lid. I have never had fermentation this aggressive. Its very exicting. I only pitched one pack of S-04 so I hope everything is behaving normally.

Tasting good so far. Gravity is a bit high (1020) but its balancing out the roasty-toasty light chocolate malt. I'm kinda wondering if I didn't take an accurate OG since the fermentation was so explosive.

From the start I was planning on oaking the beer and I've had 3 oz of light toast chips soaking in bourbon. What flavor would you guys recommend to balance a heavy roast flavor? Vanilla or Chocolate is what I had in mind but I am open to suggestions.

It dropped to 1018, the final flavor was almost like a Christmas cookie that comes in those assorted tins. So I racked it onto 28 ounces of shredded coconut, 300ml of bourbon and 2 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract. Hoping for a coconut macaroon flavor. Considering it already tastes like a cookie it shouldn't be too far off.

I plan on kegging it after 2 weeks in the secondary. I've read coconut flavor drops off fast. How fast is fast though?

After secondary FG was 1015. Heavy mouthfeel, tastes almost like Kaluha(sP?). Good buzz after a pint so I am pretty sure OG wasn't taken accurately. Its pretty good. Better than a lot of the fancy porters I have paid good money for. I am saying its a success, the coconut flavor isn't as dominating and the vanilla is not present at all. If I ever ruin a batch of beer I will probably do this instead of dumping.

Back