American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up the ingredients for this and it is my second brew ever and I am doing an extract version.
The guy who was helping me out told me to use two packages of Nottingham dry yeast, my question is, is this too much yeast?

It sounds like this ferments pretty well anyways, and doesn't dry yeast have more cells than a liquid ( I was assuming this was using liquid in the recipe)

I also will be rehydrating the yeast before pitching, no proofing or starter, just water.

So should I use one packet or two?

Thank you

Ha, I'm 46 pages in and was waiting to get to the end before I asked the same question. For everyone else, the replies say 1pkt per 5G is sufficient.

Last edited:
Sooo goood

20150919_204953.jpg

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of this recipe 3 weeks ago and just got around to transferring to secondary yesterday. I've got the batch split into two 5 gallon carboys and am dry-hopping one with 1 oz of Cascade and am oaking the other half with 4 ounces of light toast oak chips soaked in Makers Mark. When bottling, I'm going to further does the oaked batch with Makers Mark a little at a time until the taste is where I want it.

Our OG was 1.066 and both samples taken last night were at 1.017. Those are the only samples I've ever taken after primary that I've finished and wished I had more. It was great uncarbonated and at room temp. Anyone have any suggestions for how much priming sugar to add? I really don't want this one to be overcarbed, just enough to give it a good head, release some aromatics (especially in the dry-hopped half) and give good mouth-feel.

Thanks for another great recipe Ed!

I'm curious what you ended up with for the whisky and how it tasted. I'm thinking about doing the same

Making this today. Recipe as is, but I will add vanilla and espresso in the secondary. Looks and smells great right now. Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this back at the end of December and added 2 vanilla beans and 2 cups cold steeped coffee to the secondary and just last night it took first place in the porter category at the BOSS Challenge in Crest Hill, Il. My first ever beer competition victory! Guess what beer ill brewing again soon. Hopefully it gets good reviews at the national competition too. I also entered it in a previous comp and scored a 31. So this definitely is a quality brew.

How many coffee beans was in the 2 cups of cold brewed coffee? I've read 1 cup of beans to 4 cups of water on cooking blogs

I use 1/3 cup ground coffee to 500ml water for my cold brewed coffee i drink in the morning

For my coffee stout I use 1 pound course ground coffee in a hop bag in my mash

Going to get these supplies now to brew tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe. I got a bunch of S-05 so that's the only change I'll be making. Maybe throwing in some vanilla extract at bottling, not sure yet. Anyways just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. Cheers!

I went through some pages of thread but couldn't seem to find the answer to this question:

In the original recipe, are you using Briess chocolate malt or British? If British, which maltster? Thanks.

I just picked up supplies for this recipe at my lhbs, they suggested I use dehusked carafa iii instead of chocolate malt, to make it ready to drink sooner. I've used the malt before for other recipes, and decided to go for it. On the way home i realized dehusked carafa iii has a high lovibond, of roughly 450. Will this ruin the recipe? 1 lb of dehusked carafa iii...

I made the recipe as is, but I added vanilla in the secondary. I have it on a nitro tap and it is delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Now it's time to relax and enjoy.

Very Nice! Looks outstanding, I hope mine turns out as good. Just brewed up a batch today.

At 7 weeks since bottling did an extract version. Looks really light, not very carbonated, tastes sweeter than I expected but first brew of this recipe.
used 3/4 cup of white sugar. 3.3 pounds of pale lme
Steeped:
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Black Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley
Used malto dextrin but put it in at the first 15. Could that have changed the sweetness?
Hops same as original. And used nottingham.
Any advice? Just wait longer? I expected a bigger head. I tried at 2 weeks, 3, 4, 6 and it hasnt had much of a change.
Any help would be sweet

At 7 weeks since bottling did an extract version. Looks really light, not very carbonated, tastes sweeter than I expected but first brew of this recipe.
used 3/4 cup of white sugar. 3.3 pounds of pale lme
Steeped:
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Black Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley
Used malto dextrin but put it in at the first 15. Could that have changed the sweetness?
Hops same as original. And used nottingham.
Any advice? Just wait longer? I expected a bigger head. I tried at 2 weeks, 3, 4, 6 and it hasnt had much of a change.
Any help would be sweet

I'm no expert, but I would think some crystal and chocolate added to the steeping grains would be in order. Did you do a 5 gallon batch? 3.3# of lme seems a bit on the low side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Hate to be a drag on this thread, but any chance at getting an extract conversion of this? I've been wanting to I move up to PM, and it's about time too, so that could work as well. Thanks. This looks great, just what I'm looking for.
Sure. Get about 9 lbs. of Extra Pale LME and steep the rest of the grains at 155 degrees for about 15 minutes in about 2 gallons of water. Top off to 7 gallons with RO water and add the LME and bring to a boil. Add the Maltro Dextrin in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Hop additions stay the same.

EdWort

I'm no expert, but I would think some crystal and chocolate added to the steeping grains would be in order. Did you do a 5 gallon batch? 3.3# of lme seems a bit on the low side.

Rats! I did a 5 gallon. Definately that's the problem. I'll let this sit for a month and see what it turns into.
In the meantime I have ingredients for another batch to start next week (except the crystal and chocolate, I'll add that for sure). Thanks for the heads up!

Rats! I did a 5 gallon. Definately that's the problem. I'll let this sit for a month and see what it turns into.
In the meantime I have ingredients for another batch to start next week (except the crystal and chocolate, I'll add that for sure). Thanks for the heads up!

Been drinking this for a little over a week now and it is for sure the best Porter I've ever had. It's clean, smooth and has perfect flavor. Thanks for the recipe!

carbed up and i am impressed..
very nice beer and balanced..
Thanks so much for the recipe Edwort!

My latest iteration of this beer. I usually scale the 2 row back to 10 lbs. I also do a hopstand with 1 oz of cascade at about 170F for 20-30 minutes. This is a glorious beer. I just put a keg of two-hearted clone on tap that is keg hopped and I'm still drinking this.

WP_20160130_23_03_38_Pro_LI.jpg

I plan on brewing this up this weekend, extract version since I plan on doing a wheat at the same time and seems wheat extract still doesn't get the best rating, not like light, amber, and dark extract does anyways. Wife and a couple friends want a vanilla coffee porter and I think this will fit the bill nicely. This will be my first extract brew in 3 years since I switched to all grain.

My second kettle is only 5 gal so I won't be able to do a full boil, any thoughts on the best approach? Or should I just go traditional, soak grains in about 155 degree water for roughly 30 minutes, add enough water to bring the kettle up to about 3.5 gal, bring to a boil, add half the extract and hops, boil for 60 min, cool to pitching temp, and pitch yeast? I know OP states to start with 7 gal pre boil and somewhere in the thread someone stated to boil for 70 or 75 min, is that necessary for the extract version?

Are most still sticking with S-05 or has the yeast of choice in this one changed? I plan on adding a couple vanilla beans for about 7 days and whole bean espresso for about 4 days after fermentation finishes.

Thanks for any input/advise.

I plan on brewing this up this weekend, extract version since I plan on doing a wheat at the same time and seems wheat extract still doesn't get the best rating, not like light, amber, and dark extract does anyways. Wife and a couple friends want a vanilla coffee porter and I think this will fit the bill nicely. This will be my first extract brew in 3 years since I switched to all grain.

My second kettle is only 5 gal so I won't be able to do a full boil, any thoughts on the best approach? Or should I just go traditional, soak grains in about 155 degree water for roughly 30 minutes, add enough water to bring the kettle up to about 3.5 gal, bring to a boil, add half the extract and hops, boil for 60 min, cool to pitching temp, and pitch yeast? I know OP states to start with 7 gal pre boil and somewhere in the thread someone stated to boil for 70 or 75 min, is that necessary for the extract version?

Are most still sticking with S-05 or has the yeast of choice in this one changed? I plan on adding a couple vanilla beans for about 7 days and whole bean espresso for about 4 days after fermentation finishes.

Thanks for any input/advise.

For your extract version boil as much as you can and just top off with water to 5 gallons in the fermenter.

I only boil this for 60 minutes. I use Nottingham as in the OP but US-05 works fine.

For your vanilla beans, get yourself some cheap vodka and pour a half of a rocks glass then chop up / scrape out a couple vanilla beans and drop them in. Let them sit covered in plastic wrap for the duration of fermentation. This will give you a good vanilla extract that is also sanitary. Just strain the beans out and mix the vanilla vodka into the beer before packaging. I don't have any experience with adding coffee but you could just brew some espresso then cool it and add before packaging. That would also give the benefit of sanitation since it was brewed hot.

I picked up ingredients today, going to use DME, and decided on using WY 1450 as I've been happy with it other porters and stouts I've done.

For the vanilla I have had bad luck getting the flavor that I want from them by just soaking them in bourbon/vodka. So, I talked to the head brewer at a local brewery and he said they boil the beans for about 5 min and add to the secondary and get a stronger/richer vanilla flavor than soaking in alcohol. Since I have tried extract, soaking in vodka, bourbon, and just adding to 70 degree beer and since all have failed I'm going to try his method and boil for 5 min or so, add to secondary, and give it 4-7 days then bottle.

I did a breakfast stout this past fall and used 4oz of whole beans into the secondary for 4 days and after a few weeks in the bottle it was good and the coffee taste really smoothed out after about 5 weeks, so for this I'm thinking of using espresso beans for a little different coffee flavor and likely only going with 2 or 3 oz since the Breakfast Stout was a bigger beer and could handle more coffee.

Brew went OK, only got 1.058 for OG so must've added too much top off water. Sample was more bitter than expected so hoping that subsides a little after fermentation, otherwise taste is pretty good for pre fermentation.

Brew went OK, only got 1.058 for OG so must've added too much top off water. Sample was more bitter than expected so hoping that subsides a little after fermentation, otherwise taste is pretty good for pre fermentation.

You usually get inaccurate OG readings when adding top off water since it doesn't mix very well with the wort.

Also, your last post is a reply to an 8 year old post. Just letting you know.

Brewing this today! first porter so im pretty excited for when its all done and in my glass. :mug:

Tasted a sample after a week of fermentation since others have said they made this with a 2 week turnaround. I got some clove/spiciness in the taste that I wasn't expecting, temp never went over 67 or 68 and gravity a this point is at 1.010 which seems lower than it should finish at. I'm thinking it just needs a little more time anybody have any thoughts?

Has anyone use a pilsner 2 row for a substitute in this recipe? Or in any other similar recipes?

Taken me a long time to reply to this one. Yeah I don't know what I was doing, some miscalculations when converting to 5 gallons and some poor guesstimations.

Remade the beer as:

6.6 lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME
0.7 " Choc Malt
0.7 " Crystal 40
2.8 oz Black Patent
0.7 oz Roasted Barley
5.6 oz Flaked Barley

Hops Warrior 60 min
Cascades 15 min
Yeast: S-04

In the end tasted great, didn't use the Malto Dextrin and have no regrets other than I drank it too fast.

20160120_173849.jpg

Reading through this thread, I don't know how some are drinking this beer so early. I brewed mine back in Dec. Bottled in Jan and it's just now starting to have the proper carbonation. The sweetness and flavors are mellowing and mingling nicely, and in another couple of months, I anticipate this being a great porter.

Reading through this thread, I don't know how some are drinking this beer so early. I brewed mine back in Dec. Bottled in Jan and it's just now starting to have the proper carbonation. The sweetness and flavors are mellowing and mingling nicely, and in another couple of months, I anticipate this being a great porter.

Ive found this porter is decent young, not so great a few months in, but really good after 6 months or more.

Iv found that there is often alot of foam in this beer when pouring, even when pouring very slowly. Anyone know why? Malto?

Btw, my last batch i used Windsor yeast instead of Notty. Windsor is mod. Attenuating, so it produced a much sweeter porter. It came out tasting very good actually. Very velvety smooth and creamy.

Back