American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put my test bottle in the fridge a week or so ago, after two weeks bottle conditioning.

I was trying to leave it in the fridge until it lost the chill haze entirely but lost patience. Lol

Popped the top today and tried it out.

As expected it's not fully carbonated, but I'm pretty happy with the taste!

And some how it darkened somewhat during bottle conditioning. Still not pale ale like, but at least it doesn't look like white wine anymore. Lol

Happy how my first all grain turned out, and the rest of the bottles, once fully conditioned, should be great.

IMG_2553proper.jpg

So you Relaxed, Didn't Worry, and Had A HomeBrew?

;)

Seriously though, this was my first all grain, I believe, and I've made it several times since. I should make it again

Thanks- I just brewed this for the first time yesterday and was also a little surprised how light/yellow the wort looked... planning to give it about 10 days fermentation and keg - should be ready for weekend after next - fingers crossed.

Mine looked super pale/yellow too, in the fermenter (posted a photo a page or two back).

After conditioning it darkened up slightly, turned out fine. :)

Mine has turned out a little thin/watery - it is carbonated btw and the OG/FG were fine.

Any suggestions? (FYI I mashed at 152)

Mine has turned out a little thin/watery - it is carbonated btw and the OG/FG were fine.

Any suggestions? (FYI I mashed at 152)

How old is it? Bottled or kegged?

This seems like one that needs a little bit of time to come around. I've done it really fast, like 3 weeks from grain to glass, but it's better after another week or two.

Thanks!!!
I have thought my batch was a little thin at various times of its keg life, but right now, probably 6wks in the keg, I am reallllllly enjoying it. Not over the top in any sense, just a really nice drinker.

Well after reading the first 71 pages of this thread last week, I was in the neighborhood of my local home brew store so I stopped by and picked up the stuff to brew this. Not sure when I'll get around to it as I'll be at the ranch all week for Thanksgiving, but sometime soon hopefully. Thanks, Ed. Looking forward to it.

**Oh, and I got all the stuff 100% per the recipe. Not gonna make any changes without seeing how the original comes out.

Well after reading the first 71 pages of this thread last week, I was in the neighborhood of my local home brew store so I stopped by and picked up the stuff to brew this. Not sure when I'll get around to it as I'll be at the ranch all week for Thanksgiving, but sometime soon hopefully. Thanks, Ed. Looking forward to it.

**Oh, and I got all the stuff 100% per the recipe. Not gonna make any changes without seeing how the original comes out.

You will not be disappointed. It is a real nice Pale Ale.

Brewed this again a couple weekends ago (I really need to keep better records).

So much better this time, much more pale ale like than my last, and I thought that one was good.

I've improved my process a little, wondering if anyone has ideas about what made the hops come through much better this time.

Main things I can think of that were different are that:

1) I've added a pump and now whirlpool chill, cooling time went from 1 hour to 20 minutes, under 150 in 5 minutes.

2) Different hop supplier, though they seemed fresh before.

3) Using lactic instead of citric acid to adjust pH.

4) 5 extra days in fermenter (5 before 10 now; not an intentional change, No available kegs)

I would think 1 or 2. Just curious to your experiences really, most of these are things I'll keep doing. Just strange how much better this one is, even better than one I dry hopped before.

P.s. This was a fantastic pale ale before, now it's amazing.

I've found that this beer seems to take just a little longer than others to "come together". I think it is much better after a couple of weeks in the keg. Maybe the extra time was the trick?

I usually follow directions/recipes to the letter the first time I brew or cook them, but I got to thinking that I've got two spare 3 gallon fermenters sitting around not doing anything right now. What if I leave half the recipe as is in one and in the second one dry hop it and end up with two similar but different beers? What would you dry hop it with? I'm assuming more Cascade. And how much would you dry hop a 2.5 gallon recipe? And when? I've brewed about 40 recipes so far, but have never dry hopped any of them. Thanks in advance.

I am looking for feedback on an adjusted hop schedule I’m thinking about using with this recipe but bumping the pale malt up to 10lbs.
1oz Magnum 60 min
.5oz Cascade 10 min
.25oz cascade 5 min
.25oz cascade flameout
2oz cascade dry hop 7 days
Thanks for any feedback

I usually follow directions/recipes to the letter the first time I brew or cook them, but I got to thinking that I've got two spare 3 gallon fermenters sitting around not doing anything right now. What if I leave half the recipe as is in one and in the second one dry hop it and end up with two similar but different beers? What would you dry hop it with? I'm assuming more Cascade. And how much would you dry hop a 2.5 gallon recipe? And when? I've brewed about 40 recipes so far, but have never dry hopped any of them. Thanks in advance.
I've done the same with this beer, but at 5 gallons each. I used cascade at day 3 of fermentation. Think I used 2 ounces.

I'd say that it was nice to have both. I basically had pale ales at both ends of the spectrum. If I was forced (at gunpoint) to dump one, it probably would have been the one without the dry hop though.

Thanks. Using MO and Munich would make a different beer. The munich malt would make it much more heavier and maltier. It would also make a darker beer going from 4L to 10L in color.

The MO would not make much of a difference other than increasing the price of the batch.

My goal in devising this recipe was to make a beer that was very drinkable, easy to make, while using the fewest, yet most cost effective ingredients; hence dry yeast, only one hop type, mostly 2 row Pale, etc.

I'm sure you would make a good beer, but it would be darker & maltier with the Munich.

I'm going to try this recipe just because I'm looking for a Haus Ale with the same goals- simple, inexpensive ingredients that yields consistent results and most everyone like. I used to do an extract Canadian ale that fit this bill but have since lost the recipe. Besides, I'm liking pale ales a lot more now since my trip to England earlier this year. :)

Last edited:
Can someone describe the flavor of this? I am interested in a beer that's approachable to most people and not bitter. I don't like bitter beers. Thanks!

Can someone describe the flavor of this? I am interested in a beer that's approachable to most people and not bitter. I don't like bitter beers. Thanks!
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. To me, they are extremely similiar, especially after this one has sat in a keg for a few weeks. Earlier than that you get much more hop smell. I love it, but some won't like it at that stage (typically those who've only had something like an IPA a couple times). They'd probably perceive it as bitter, associated with the hop smell rather than the actual flavor.

I can actually distinguish between the smell and the flavor. As long as it doesn't have the bitter aftertaste I'm good. I've actually had some beers that had a high hop Aroma but will not happy or bitter at all. And that was kind of a cool experience.

I can actually distinguish between the smell and the flavor. As long as it doesn't have the bitter aftertaste I'm good. I've actually had some beers that had a high hop Aroma but will not happy or bitter at all. And that was kind of a cool experience.
Probably the cheapest, easiest recipe on here, short of a smash.

Brew it, drink it, see how you like it. The price, quick turn around, great aroma and flavor are what keep it on my tap list.

Just blew my keg with this pour, so 10 more gallons on the way this weekend. :)

20180116_205126.jpg

I know this calls for Nottingham dry, but I have a Nottingham slurry from a batch of cream ale I did recently - anything adverse gonna happen if I use the slurry instead of dry yeast?

I know this calls for Nottingham dry, but I have a Nottingham slurry from a batch of cream ale I did recently - anything adverse gonna happen if I use the slurry instead of dry yeast?

It’s common to save yeast and pitch slurry. I actually use 001 for this recipe and it turns out great.

This is perhaps the best beer this new guy has made. The recipes seem to be getting better along with my skills!
Tried one, and it was gone before I could share or take a photo.

Brewing this as we speak.

The only subtle change is that 2lbs Vienna equals 900ish grams over her in Australia, I had a 1kg bag, so stuffed if I was going to save 100grams (3 and a bit ounces I think). So I threw caution to the wind and put a full kilogram in lol.

Did everyone pitch one yeast sachet or two? From memory US05 is 6 billion yeast count per gram, so two? Thanks Ed, smells and looks delicious, can't wait to try it!

1.052 happy days, sample tastes fantastic

Attachments

• IMG_20180729_174400408.jpg
    IMG_20180729_174400408.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 194
Brewed this last weekend (with my own hops!), but now I'm going to be out of town next week and won't be able to pull at the 10-day point. I assume a few extra days on the yeast won't hurt anything?

This has mellowed beautifully! At first I thought it needed dry hopping but after a few weeks conditioning it really doesn't, there's a subtle aroma sweetness that's really nice, the beer is very well balanced. A mate I'm introducing to home brew says it's delicious, that's all I need to hear. Will be my Haus pale definitely! Nice work Ed!!

So, need a little help here. Just brewed my first batch of Haus Pale Ale. While I know some of my numbers were off and I had to work through a stuck sparge the beer turned out drinkable. The beer is very malty (which is my issue) and though I added even more hops than called for there is not much hop flavor coming through like I'd expect for a pale ale. I brewed this 6.17.18 in the middle of the summer in Florida. Temp on brew day in my garage was 92F degrees.

Here was my process and numbers:

-Followed all grain recipe exactly except added 3 ounces of hops instead of 2.47 hops
throughout the boil. Decided just to add all three 1 ounce bag of hops. Used beer smith for my recipe but, ended up with almost 7 gallons in the fermenter before bottling which also means something is off. Maybe in my equipment set up?

-Mashed for 60 mins temp steady between 149-150 (temp in garage while brewing 92F)

-Batch sparged. Had a stuck sparge and blew back through the drain tube to get the wort flowing again. Sparge process due to stuck sparge took much longer than anticipated.

-Pre-boil gravity was 1.030

-Took one hour post boil to cool the wort to 80F using tap water running through standard size copper wort chiller

-Original gravity was 1.041 (was shooting for 1.055 per recipe)

-Pitched two packs of nottingham dry yeast to the fermenter (i use a 7 gallon plastic fast fermenter) and did not rehydrate yeast. As stated fermenter was placed in a fast fermenter cooling bag in our dining room replacing ice jugs 24-48 hours.

-Fermentation was vigorous and visually seemed complete after 24 hours. Just in case left in 12 days to ensure fermentation was complete and gravity reading was 1.015 (shooting for 1.012 for FG). Exchanged collection ball on the fast fermenter on day 13 then became very busy traveling for work. Batch stayed in the fermenter for a total of 26 days between 70F-71F degrees

-Bottled using corn sugar and bottles sat at room temperature for 2 weeks at 76-78 degrees F. Tried the first beer after refrigerating for 24 hours on week 3. Tried my second beer on week 4 after 48 hours of refrigeration.

Final product is color appropriate. Much more malt character than I was expecting. Almost to malty. Very little hop bitterness/flavor apparent. Since I missed my numbers beer is coming in at around 3.28% ABV vs. the 5.7% I was hoping for. The carbonation is on point with good lacy head retention.

Sorry for the long post but, wondering why this beer is so malt forward with an absence of hop flavor? Do you see anything glaringly wrong with my process? The beer is drinkable and not bad in any way (no off flavors at all) but nothing like what I expected. Wish I could ferment cooler but it's what my hobby budget allows for. Any thoughts from others. Am I just missing it? Is the beer supposed to be that non complex and very malty? For some reason took a first sip hoping to have something lower key but similar to Dale's Pale Ale. Finally, I've not yet attempted to up my original gravity if I miss on the mash by adding DME or LME. Little nervous that I might might screw something up but this would have been the perfect time to do so.

Thanks.

Brewed this as my second brew...Biab/3 gallon batch. Outstanding beer on its own although my head retention wasnt what i hoped for. I mashed a little high, 156-158. Next time ill add some flaked barley and drop the mash temp to 153 to see what that does for head retention. Also a great base beer for hops experiments. Centennial hops on the list for future brews with this recipe. Thanks Ed!

Latest posts

Back