American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed 2.5 gallons on saturday nov. 5th. Kegged yesterday, added gelatin this morning. Should be able to get a first pour this weekend I hope!

Oct 12 - Nov 2
Cold crashed it last night in the keg, connecting the CO2 now

my final gravity was ~1.006 so approx 4.5%

It has been 2 weeks now so I am going to try it out tonight, pretty excited since it has been several months since last time I brewed this, and this is the first AG recipe I tried last month :mug:

From a few posts ago I believe he said he used too much water.

Let us know how it turns out!

Yes exactly!

I tried it last night only to find out my poppets aren't sealing properly so it has not carbonated fully in the last 14 days...bummer. But it still tasted great, albeit a bit "light"

:mug:

Did a mini mash, looks good maybe a little cloudy, smells good, but I can't drink it.
I think it's tannins. Maybe squeezed the bag to much?

Did a mini mash, looks good maybe a little cloudy, smells good, but I can't drink it.
I think it's tannins. Maybe squeezed the bag to much?

How long has it been conditioning before you tried it? I notice some weird flavors when this beer is young, but after a few weeks of age it seems to go away.

I mashed at 152, followed the recipe to a tee. Hit 1.051 OG and 1.007 FG. Anyone see this before - fermented below 1.011.

I hot 1.006 my first time and just checked my second batch and got 1.004! It was around 64 the whole time.

Final gravity for this calls for 1.011. My final was 1.006. I didnt check the original gravity. This is my first all grain brew. Is the beer ok with this final gravity?

Brewed a half batch of this over the weekend. It was a bit too cold in the garage, so I brought it in to ferment around room temp (high 60's). Went with US-05. My closet smells amazing right now, and I can hardly wait to bottle this.

Thinking about pushing it along and bottling next weekend or beginning of next week.

Final gravity for this calls for 1.011. My final was 1.006. I didnt check the original gravity. This is my first all grain brew. Is the beer ok with this final gravity?

I don't think you'll have any problems. What's the worst that could happen? You'll still have made beer. :mug:

Did the partial mash version of this a month ago and just got to tapping it. I used Simcoe for all additions and dry hopped with an oz of Simcoe as well. I also used 6LB pilsen LME instead of regular light DME since it's what I had on hand and pitched us-05 yeast. I added 8oz maltodextrin to counteract the thinner finish the pilsen malt gave.

Now that it's carbed and pouring, I can say this beer is A+! I just picked up the grains to do a BIAB version of this soon with the original hop schedule. Can't wait!

Pic of the first pint pull, still pretty cloudy.

IMAG1032.jpg

Did the partial mash version of this a month ago and just got to tapping it. I used Simcoe for all additions and dry hopped with an oz of Simcoe as well. I also used 6LB pilsen LME instead of regular light DME since it's what I had on hand and pitched us-05 yeast. I added 8oz maltodextrin to counteract the thinner finish the pilsen malt gave.

That's not even in the ballpark of what this beer recipe calls for....

Well hell, I dun goofed I guess. Next batch is going to be 100% to recipe so maybe I can redeem myself. :p

At least the Vienna, Crystal and IBU's stayed the same. :tank:

Well hell, I dun goofed I guess. Next batch is going to be 100% to recipe so maybe I can redeem myself. :p

At least the Vienna, Crystal and IBU's stayed the same. :tank:

Just messing with you. :mug:

I bet it was a damn tasty beer, though.

So...you didn't make this beer...

Ha! ;)

There's so little difference in some different recipes, that it doesn't take much to be a totally different brew. :) I use the same recipe for the beer that my wife and I drink...basically a 6% yellow ale... but hers only gets an ounce of Goldings at 60 minutes, and mine gets about 2 ounces of Cascade spread out over the entire boil... two different beers for sure.

The original recipe makes a great beer as is... but it is fun to play with recipes...

Oh, I know. I was just giving Rush a bit of a hard time.

If you go back to the top of this thread, you'll see that Edwort had a response that was spot on when people would ask, "What if I replaced xxx with xxxx?"

He said something along the lines of, It will be a good beer. It won't be this beer, but it should be good.

That is what I usually think any time I see guys posting their changes to a recipe.

Just tapped my first of 2 kegs of this.
1.046 down to 1.006 with 2 weeks in primary. Cooled and kegged with gelatin at 10 psi. 1 week later and beer is pretty clear, perfectly carbonated. Mine seems closer to an IPA. It could be the home grown cascade hops of unknown IBUs, but I only used them for the last addition.
Anyone else find this closer to an IPA? It is an awesome beer. Just not what I was expecting.

Brewed yesterday, first time batch sparging. Have to say the brewday went awesome! Used amarillo and centennial since its what I had. I plan to dry hop it with 1/2oz amarillo, 1/2 centennial just to see how it comes out.

Kegged this morning after work, has been at stable gravity for a few days, thought it'd be fine. Really wishing I would have left it a bit longer, hoping it comes around after sitting cold!

I know how that goes, when you need beer and you rush one.... I kegged a double batch of this beer and managed to grab a little overage in a 16 oz bottle which I cold crashed and then quick carbed tonight. I like it! Solid crowd pleaser that won't offend the snobs. A good recipe to have in the quiver!

As a side note, this brought back memories of Hubcap Brewing, of Vail CO. They had a nice pale ale they called Vail Pale Ale. Deja Brew!

Brewed this Sunday as my 3rd BIAB brew. Used the original recipe exactly except I used US-05 instead of Nottingham yeast. Also ended up missing OG by a few points, hit 1.048 in the fermenter. Can't wait to try the finished result!

Also ended up missing OG by a few points, hit 1.048 in the fermenter.

I hit 1.045, but luckily had 1lb of light DME on hand which is how much BeerSmiths calculator said I needed to add to get it up to the desired OG(1.051)... Ended up at 1.052 into the fermenter.

I put the recipe into Brewers Friend with an estimated efficiency of 55% (I'm new to all-grain) and it calculates the OG to 1.045, so it makes sense.

12hr later and it's super active. Can't wait to try it.

This is a great beer. I made it as is and not sure if I'd change anything. Just threw Ed's IPA into the bubbler (however I did mod that one a bit). Cheers.

IMG_1327.jpg

Just picked up the OP grain bill, hops, and us05 for this brew. Now to find a weekend to do a double brew. I have a raspberry wheat I need to brew as well. I must have lost my mind....

just pitched the yeast on this fine brew.. probably my 20th batch of this.. its my haus brew as well. :D

Tried this about a week ago. Not that many brews under my belt (lots down my neck, though). Question for those who have done this with great success. I know it's supposed to be a quick fermenter, but, I never saw any activity in the bubbler at all. Had it at room temp for a day Inkbird arrived next day) and then into ferm chamber at 68#. Is this pretty normal/standard? Should this clear in primary or after i keg? Thanks for any help/advise (hate being the FNG :)).

great recipe ive brewed it a few times now. last time i had a few extra ozs of cascade kicking around so i upped the 15 mins and 5 min additions to .8oz each and its really nice. heres a pic after transfering into the keg. no carbonation yet though

unnamed.jpg

I'm doing this recipe as my first "getting back into brewing" brew. I've got a new system and I haven't brewed in years. I'll be brewing this recipe shortly.

To give myself something to compare to, what commercial beer does this recipe taste most like ?

Back