American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Ed you would be proud. My brewing buddy Dboss and I have made 20 gallons of Haus pale ale in 2 months. 2 per recipe, and 2 modified.

Good job guys!

I just tapped a fresh keg yesterday after a few months of no Haus Ale. It's good to have it back!

I pulled another couple of pints yesterday. :mug:

It's the second week of keg conditioning. It's starting to mellow out nicely and clear up.

It tastes great! It will definately be a staple around my house.

Hopefully, after following the progress of this one, I can keep my paws off the next one for at least four weeks.

After my first beer didn't turn out too well, this one really got me excited about brewing beer (all grain especially) for the long term. Thanks Ed!

Oh....and I will become a HBT premium supporter very soon!

Well I bottled my gelatin haus pale last night. The carboy was completely clear and amber colored. My final beer came out like the one in the last pic on here but completely clear. Using same vienna as before, only 2row from different lhbs. This batch came out much lighter in color, probably the 4 or 5 srm that beersmith projected. That is wierd to me that is is so much lighter in color. I will post some pics after the bottles prep for a week or 2. The initial tasting of the flat beer from bottling, the extra hops are very noticable, as are the light dryhop I put in. Should turn out real good. But will look like BMC.

When I made the recipe it also came out a lot lighter in color then Eds. I was using crystal 15 as well so I thought it would be darker

My LHBS only carries Durst Vienna Malt, will it work for this? The 2 row is Rahr. Thanks.

brewed 5Gal of this yesterday. Went without a hitch. looking forward to tasting it for the first time. Thanks Ed!

brewed 5.5 gal today using carahell in place of the crystal 10. planning on taking it to a christmas party next month. thought i would let all my coworkers see how good it was too!

Edwort,
I couldn't believe it this weekend when I tried a commercial pale ale and if someone told me it Bee Cave Haus Pale ale I would of believed them. I couldn't believe the similarities between that and the batch I brewed of yours. It was called Summit Extra Pale Ale, and since it's made in St. Paul, MN I doubt if it reaches texas so you could try it. The strange thing is that Summit actually says on their website that they use 2-row harrington and caramel for their malts and horizon, fuggle and cascade for their hops. Obviously quite a bit different than yours but still, the similarities were unmistakable.

I did a 3.5 gallon version of this recipe on Saturday. First all grain i did (used Deathbrewers method) and it went well. I used the nottingham yeast as suggested, the stuff blasted off! i pitched at 80 degress and the wort held that temp until this morning. Do you think the initial fermentation temp will cause some off flavors? there was almost a 3" head and one hell of a "blizzard" in the carboy. The krausen has fallen and little to no airlock activity. Thanks for the suggestion Ed, this was probably the most active i have seen yeast yet.

Time for me to make this brew in the next few weeks. I have a ton of Cascades and 4 new empy kegs to fill. Wish I was set up for 10 gallon batches.

Edwort,
I couldn't believe it this weekend when I tried a commercial pale ale and if someone told me it Bee Cave Haus Pale ale I would of believed them. I couldn't believe the similarities between that and the batch I brewed of yours. It was called Summit Extra Pale Ale, and since it's made in St. Paul, MN I doubt if it reaches texas so you could try it. The strange thing is that Summit actually says on their website that they use 2-row harrington and caramel for their malts and horizon, fuggle and cascade for their hops. Obviously quite a bit different than yours but still, the similarities were unmistakable.

Excellent! I'll have to get some of that to take ice fishing up at LOW in January. Thanks for the tip.

I do most of my ordering from ahs and i was wondering if should be buying the belgian pale ale malt or the brewers rahr 2 row malt bc the belgian pale ale malt says that it is easily converted by a single temperature infusion mash but the 2 row doesnt

Edwort,

I've had my fair share of Summit EPA, and I think it has much more of a hop bite than Ed's HPA. I taste more cascade flavor and aroma in Ed's recipe where in Summit's it's a much more harsh bitterness, but still very tasty. Summit EPA is one of my favorite local brews. I went on the Summit Brewery tour a few months ago and it was one of the better tours I've been on.

True, it does have more hop bite but trying to find the right word to describe the similar taste, "breadlike" maybe? I'm not sure.

I'd love to do that Summit tour though, the only one I've been on is the Schells brewery tour in New Ulm. The $2 tour fee can get you quite a buzz...:tank:

Going to try the haus ale tonight, but I managed to mess up when I went to the LHBS. Had the recipe in my head and... got it wrong. I don't know ingredients well enough to know what kind of mistake I was making, until the proprietor of the shop after handing me my bag made mention that this was gonna be a strong brew I was about to make -- at the point I realized I may have goofed with the recipe in my memory.
Was after a minimash and purchased the yeast, the hops, 2lb of Vienna and 1/2lb of Crystal 10L. Then... I also purchased 6.5LB of Pale LME. Normally I just folllow recipes to the T and end up with some quite tasty, but I manage to stray a bit here.
At the very least I know something is getting brewed tonight, just a matter of what :) . Is there a good way to rectify my mistake with these ingredients? Use it all? Cut back on using some of it?

Appreciate any assistance for this new brewer.

I made this as my first all grain. Did 10 Gal, left in primaries for 14 days, kegged, one keg has been in the fridge for a week.

It's still cloudy,which I'm not worried about.

It has a pretty strong bitter taste on the front end. I'm planning to let it sit longer to see how it mellows, but wondering if anyone would have an idea of why it would be bitter like that? I followed the recipe per Ed's direction. The only deviation is that I mashed around 155 degrees, so a little high.

Thanks

It has a pretty strong bitter taste on the front end. I'm planning to let it sit longer to see how it mellows, but wondering if anyone would have an idea of why it would be bitter like that?

At three weeks, it is very green. I try not to drink any before 6 weeks.

Thank you for sharing youre recipes, Ed. I made this today as my first AG. Simple ingredients that could produce an awesome beer.

I just tapped a keg made on 9/20. It's amazing what a few extra weeks of patience does to it. Hmmmm Good.

I love how you post should good recipes btwn yours and biermunchers recipes that is all that i have made for like the past 5 batches

I love how you post should good recipes btwn yours and biermunchers recipes that is all that i have made for like the past 5 batches

i read that twice, i still cannot make sense of it.

dont drink-n-post (trust me, i know) :)

i am ordering ingredients now!

$19.45 from more beer, for 5 gallons of GOOD beer. what a steal!
fourty and a half cents a beer.

i read that twice, i still cannot make sense of it.

dont drink-n-post (trust me, i know) :)

i am ordering ingredients now!

$19.45 from more beer, for 5 gallons of GOOD beer. what a steal!
fourty and a half cents a beer.

It should say such good recipes.

Edwort,

I picked up a 12 pack of Summit's Winter Pack. It has 3 bottles of the Extra Pale Ale, along with the ESB, IPA and one other beer. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I'm glad it is available here in Austin. After all, we are just down I-35 a ways from Minneapolis. :D

lol, yeah when it's not snowing, I think I can see Austin from here...;):D

I just tasted Summit's Extra Pale Ale and it is amazingly similar to my Haus Pale Ale. I poured a bottle for SWMBO (no beer for me during the week) and she could not believe it. We'll do a blind taste test this weekend.

In the mean time, my ice fishing buddy will pick up a case for me for the annual ice fishing trip to LOW. It will be good to be drinking decent beer up there for a change. Thanks for the heads up!

Glad to hear it, actually It's nice to know that mine tasted the way it should. I was worried because I used 2-row (Rahr) and Safale S-05 and oh, the crushed grains were a couple months old...:D

I don't know if I ever said "Thanks" for sharing this recipe Ed. I absolutely love this beer, as does everyone else who has tried it.
I am running low on it though, so another brew is in store for the near future. I think it will be my first attempt at a 10 gal batch. Definitely will be a regular one around my house in any case.

how does this sound for a little grain change up for what i have on hand:

7.5# 2 row
1# carapils
2# vienna

Would this give me a similar beer?

I have ingredients to do a Mini Mash of this recipe. I hope to have time to do it tomorrow. What do I need for a strainer? Could I strain through Cheesecloth? Do I need a stainless strainer?

Brewing this again right now. Just added the second hop addition.
So far so good, nailed all my times / temps. :ban:

just brewed this on friday and the fermenation has been going nuts (looked like a gigantic winter snow globe)

Thanks Ed!

Brewed mine yesterday. Due to better than predicted efficiency and extra boiloff OG was 1.062.

I'll probably dry-hop in the keg as well.

Used my free cascades and since I don't know the AA, I'm hoping they are at least average.

so i am from upstate sc and i have no lhbs at all and i was in ga this past weekend and for the first time i ever i went to a hb shop. I was excited like all week about going since all i have ever done is order stuff online. But, all this shop had was like like a couple of bins of grain, some beer and wine kits collecting dust, and a fridge with some hops and yeast. I was going to buy the stuff for this but all they had was the two row and amarillo hops. Anyway to my question: I know i asked above about the grain switch up, but would this be good with amarillo as the first hop addition?

so i am from upstate sc and i have no lhbs at all and i was in ga this past weekend and for the first time i ever i went to a hb shop. I was excited like all week about going since all i have ever done is order stuff online. But, all this shop had was like like a couple of bins of grain, some beer and wine kits collecting dust, and a fridge with some hops and yeast. I was going to buy the stuff for this but all they had was the two row and amarillo hops. Anyway to my question: I know i asked above about the grain switch up, but would this be good with amarillo as the first hop addition?

Sure. Amarillo will make a fine beer with the same grain bill.

Where in SC? Maybe I can help you out there depending on how far "upstate".

about fifteen minutes away from clemson. the only one i know of is the bet-mar liquid hobby in columbia, and that is 3 hours away from me is there one any closer?

Back