Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing this currently. Using WLP 380 because that's what was available, but I've read good results from it. 3rd time brewing this and it is always a favorite.

This turned out very nicely - 3 weeks in the bottle, 2.2oz priming sugar for 2.5 gallons - nice carbonation, very good flavor!

Wheat Beer.jpg

Brewed the extract w/ steeping grains again today. Somehow I messed up my extract + added too much top-up water at the end. Not a good start....

My OG came to 1.042.... could I add some boiled and cooled corn sugar water to bump up the gravity? I really don't want to drink a 3-4% beer :(
I assumed I was going to be around 1.060 so there is a lot of yeast in the carboy and I am worried about the fermentation
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:mug:

Well - if you don't have any more malt extract syrup on hand, or any light DME, you'll be able to bump up the alcohol content with the extra sugar, but will probably still taste a bit "thinner." Having plenty of yeast is a good thing!

Other idea, though not true to the OP's recipe, would be to add some honey and make a honey wheat...that way you would get some additional sugar to ferment, but also some additional flavor...

Well - if you don't have any more malt extract syrup on hand, or any light DME, you'll be able to bump up the alcohol content with the extra sugar, but will probably still taste a bit "thinner." Having plenty of yeast is a good thing!

Other idea, though not true to the OP's recipe, would be to add some honey and make a honey wheat...that way you would get some additional sugar to ferment, but also some additional flavor...

I like the honey idea. How do I figure out how much honey/water to add to bring my OG from 1.042 to 1.052 or higher?

I'm getting the impression you're underway with this and need to act - an accurate calc of how much honey to add to get to your target OG is a bit beyond my ability to crank out rapidly, but - presuming you're making a 5.5 gallon batch (like the OP), with the equivalent of an 11 lb grain bill, here's another recipe from the same area of the recipe forum - looks like 1 lb of honey out of a total of 9 lbs of grain+ other fermentables: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470698. Guess I'd go with a half-pound to a pound of honey, with just the minimum amount of water needed to get it dissolved - and see how it turns out...

Hope this helps some - good luck, friend.

Yeah it's already in my carboy! I'll try dissolving some honey in some water and add it in :mug:

If you wouldn't mind posting the outcome, that would be appreciated - been thinking about a honey wheat, and this recipe is the one I would start with.

I added 1 lb of honey with a small amount of water, heated it until the honey dissolved, then cooled. It poured like a syrup so I'll be interested to see how it turns out.
I will post my results in a couple weeks :mug:

I just brewed this yesterday, but I used US Hallertau. Is that OK? Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I didn't see any other kind of Hallertau at the LHBS.

Brewed the extract w/ steeping grains again today. Somehow I messed up my extract + added too much top-up water at the end. Not a good start....

My OG came to 1.042.... could I add some boiled and cooled corn sugar water to bump up the gravity? I really don't want to drink a 3-4% beer :(
I assumed I was going to be around 1.060 so there is a lot of yeast in the carboy and I am worried about the fermentation
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:mug:

Gravity reading is about 1.006 which would be 4.7% excluding the honey addition to the carboy

Now to figure out how much a pound of honey effected my OG of 1.042...

Gravity reading is about 1.006 which would be 4.7% excluding the honey addition to the carboy

Now to figure out how much a pound of honey effected my OG of 1.042...

Do you use a recipe program like Brewer's Friend or Beersmith? Just add it in as an ingredient. I just input a pound of honey to a 5.5 gal recipe I'm working with and the OG went up 0.008.

Do you use a recipe program like Brewer's Friend or Beersmith? Just add it in as an ingredient. I just input a pound of honey to a 5.5 gal recipe I'm working with and the OG went up 0.008.

I have not used those programs, but I will start now :mug:

The 6.5 L? I believe that is what EdWort uses, and that's what I used. See pic in post 1359. It will be great!

Roger that. I used the pale wheat (2L) the first time I made it. Picked up a gold medal at the Alabama State homebrew competition with it last year. This batch will be going on an upcoming snowboard trip. Nice pic!

Roger that. I used the pale wheat (2L) the first time I made it. Picked up a gold medal at the Alabama State homebrew competition with it last year. This batch will be going on an upcoming snowboard trip. Nice pic!

I can believe that! This is the most spot on, in style beer that I have brewed. Virtually indistinguishable from the very best commercial examples and better than all the rest.

Temps are supposed to hit 40 or so next week - I'll open the garage and brew 20 gallons. Going with Pale Whet and Two Row, with a German Yeast.

This will be my 3rd batch, and I've decreased wheat and upped 2 row. Can't wait!

Temps are supposed to hit 40 or so next week - I'll open the garage and brew 20 gallons. Going with Pale Whet and Two Row, with a German Yeast.

This will be my 3rd batch, and I've decreased wheat and upped 2 row. Can't wait!

Just out of curiosity, why 2-row instead of German Pilsen? Original recipe makes an incredible authentic Bavarian Hefe! I wouldn't mess with it, unless you're after something different.

The guy who got me brewing said I could use two-row, and I buy it in 50 lb bags for $25 from a local microbrewery. I tried it the first time, and then the second time opted for more 2-Row than wheat. I liked it, and so did the wife.

All Homebrew Supply stores are at least 2 hours away. We either improvise or beg or borrow from each other.

Finally brewed. Did 20 gal batch, per earlier post.

Used Wyeast German Wheat Yeast as I couldn't get Weihenstephen. Did a 1 liter starter than stepped up to 4 liters.

OG was 1.044., which was where I was the last time I brewed this variation.

brewed this one yesterday, 5 gallon batch BIAB. started with 9 gallons of water and ended up with 6 gallons in the fermenter. missed my volume big time!

Made this yesterday, I hit all my numbers wound up with 10 gal of 1.050 wort. Pitched 2L starter but still no activity??

I did pitch at about 61 degrees... too cold? stays about 65 in basement...

Made this yesterday, I hit all my numbers wound up with 10 gal of 1.050 wort. Pitched 2L starter but still no activity??

I did pitch at about 61 degrees... too cold? stays about 65 in basement...

I fermented mine cold (62ish) and it turned out great! Did you use 3068? Mine started percolating within hours. Love that yeast! At that temp the banana and clove esters are quite reserved, so you get a pretty clean tasting beer, which was my goal. Tastes very similar to Ayinger.

yes 3068, made 2L starter which fermented well. Still no activity :( going to try to stir it up and see if that helps... temps are now 65 degrees.

I fermented mine cold (62ish) and it turned out great! Did you use 3068? Mine started percolating within hours. Love that yeast! At that temp the banana and clove esters are quite reserved, so you get a pretty clean tasting beer, which was my goal. Tastes very similar to Ayinger.

oops... well it seems I was quite mistaken. Its fermenting away... I had not set one of the seals on top properly... I looked inside and FULL of kaursen...!! it certainly is active!

oops... well it seems I was quite mistaken. Its fermenting away... I had not set one of the seals on top properly... I looked inside and FULL of kaursen...!! it certainly is active!

Great news! Yeah, I didn't even do a starter. Just pitched straight from the smack pack.

Been wanting to brew this for some time. Finally just did it tonite. #s right on the money but temp controller acting wonky. Will check it tomorrow.

Thanks Ed - great rvws and I hope to have a good Bavarian Heff.:ban:

I check my FG this am, was 1.010 and tasted great, however its pretty cloudy? is that normal with this style? or should i add gelatin? I will be kegging this.

since I did 10 gals I am going to split them, and put a little orange peel and coriander in one and see how that goes. Anyone try this? Can I use orange peel? I have coriander seeds... was thinking of putting it in paint strainer bag in the keg...

I kegged my batch after 16 days in primary and it finished low at 1.008. Fermentation happened at a steady 67 degrees in my fermchamber with a STC-1000 probe taped to to the Big Mouth Bubbler and covered with a double layer of koozie to shield from ambient temps. I did detect a sulphur odor while kegging but did not taste it in the sample.

I tried the beer last night and I still detect a slight sulphur odor but again, I do not taste it at all. In fact the beer really tastes good with big banana notes and a subtle clove finish. I just wish it didn't have that stinky nose...

Will that sulphur smell go away? It isn't overpowering but it is there. I did find that a lemon slice in the beer seems to cover it up nicely. Maybe that's how that practice came to be in the first place?

EDIT: I guess this sulphur is common for the strain according to WYeast. Hopefully this will go away before too long as they suggest!
http://wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=135
" Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning."

Interestingly....... Had a couple-three last night and the sulphur smell was gone. Didn't expect it to be that quick but so glad it was.

Anyway, thanks @EdWort for this recipe! Nice color to this one too!

NiceHefe.jpg

Back