Beast wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrewer

Reaction score
So I built a wort chiller, just basic 25' immersion chiller. I call it the beast because it looks like a tangled mess of tubing, BUT, it did take a 2.5 gal boil from 207F to 80F in 6 MINUTES!! I have really really cold tap. Any good ways to improve structural stability, on this thing? Was thinking about putting some copper bars on 3 sides, and welding them in place with solder. Would any of this be hazardous to wort?

it looks like a basic immersion chiller, just has tube (hot used water) coming up through the middle instead of the outside the coils. Wanted to take some strips of copper and attach them to the outside/inside of coils to make them rigid.

Go right ahead but make sure you use lead free solder, and clean the flux off carefully after soldering. Lead free solder is now the standard for plumbing solder, so if you have doubts about that old roll of solder you inherited from Grampa, go to the big box DIY store and buy a new roll.

What is the diameter of the copper tubing? I'm just curious cause I'm thinking about building my own. I would love to be able to go from a boil to 75 degrees in about 6 minutes. Right now it takes me around 30 minutes using ice baths in the sink....

noobrewer said:
So I built a wort chiller, just basic 25' immersion chiller. I call it the beast because it looks like a tangled mess of tubing, BUT, it did take a 2.5 gal boil from 207F to 80F in 6 MINUTES!! I have really really cold tap.

It's amazing how much heat they can pull off. Having a propane burner to get the heat in and an IC to get the heat out has made the process a good deal quicker for me.

When I first started I was brewing on electric cooktop and cooling in an icebath. Lordy.

i used some Stainless Steel "twine" I got at McMaster-Carr and just wrapped it around the coils and twisted it up. This supports my 50 ft 1/2" IC.

Latest posts

Back