BCS 2 Vessel No Sparge Garage Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't understand why you haven't automated your hop additions. :D

Seriously, GREAT job not to mention thoroughly enjoyable write-up!

I just can't understand why you haven't automated your hop additions. :D

Seriously, GREAT job not to mention thoroughly enjoyable write-up!

Still trying to figure out a good design for that honestly. Its definitely on the table as something I want to do with this thing once its nice and stable.

Still trying to figure out a good design for that honestly. Its definitely on the table as something I want to do with this thing once its nice and stable.

If I was ever going to do one, I would start with the idea that the brew-boss uses:

http://www.brew-boss.com/product-p/hb-master.htm

I would think an electrically controlled servo could just rotate a plate x degrees, and the pellets drop right through a hole in the bottom.

Rip off.
Get a 1 rpm motor. Two cake pans, and some drain/gutter pipe and some PVC pipe. Done.

Probably need some threaded rod and some other odds and ends. I did one based on a zymurgy DIY article for a continuous hop addition. Worked like crap, but I still have the motor and the PVC. And the rod. Would probably be easy to implement an output control in BCS to run for 10 seconds, rotate the nested cake pan with PVC tubes mounted and drilled below to dump into a chute. Would need to carefully setup the timing of it all and have the holes all aligned and probably a non-friction washer or something like non stick cake pans so they slide easily. I might build one myself now that I think of it!

Yeah that $200 is a joke. I like the cake pan idea @TrickyDick. Looking forward to seeing how it fits in to the system.

$8 for S&H. LOL!!

Yeah but those would work. I'm gonna see if I have some scrap stuff lying around I can use. Might be easy to hang it from my ceiling rather than find a mount for it to clip on the side of the kettle. Plus can easier set the drop height so it doesn't interfere with putting lid on, or stirring, etc.

Like I need a new project....

awesome build you got going there. May i ask if you have any problems with scorching on the elements?

A rotating pan isn't cool enough. You need an elaborate system with marbles and scales.

Hoppy.jpg

Awesome build, very inspiring to a new brewer! I really like all the additions along the way, which seems to be the trend for home brewing. I keep finding new toys to buy between each batch!

Latest posts

Back