BCJP Category Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webby45wr

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I brewed an East India Porter in the fall that turned out great. It's based off the following recipe. Basically, it's a highly hopped porter. Beersmith shows about 117 IBU.

I like it so much, I'm going to enter it into a contest so I can get some honest feedback, but I don't know what category to go with - 12B (Robust Porter) or 23 (Specialty). It hits most vital statistics for 12B, but the IBU's are way off.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Webby

Sounds more like 23...

•Out-of-style variations of existing styles (e.g., low alcohol versions of other styles, extra-hoppy beers, “imperial” strength beers)

Though, if you have enough bottles and $$, enter it in both, as 12B says "medium to high bitterness"

Sounds more like 23...

Though, if you have enough bottles and $$, enter it in both, as 12B says "medium to high bitterness"

I imagine, though, that by "highly hopped" OP means flavor and aroma as well as bitterness. If this is the case, I wouldn't waste the money on entering in 12B. I would just go with the specialty category.

I imagine, though, that by "highly hopped" OP means flavor and aroma as well as bitterness. If this is the case, I wouldn't waste the money on entering in 12B. I would just go with the specialty category.

I wouldn't think so, based on the recipe in the link...

3.00 oz. EKG @ 90 min for 60 IBU
1.50 oz. EKG @ 30 min for 22 IBU
0.50 oz. EKG @ 15 min for 8 IBU
1.00 oz. EKG @ Dryhop (serving)

That's not a lot of flavor/aroma for a 1.067 beer.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it's really all in the bitterness. The aroma is coffee, and it has a coffee finish, but the hop bitterness is pronounced. Due to that, I was afraid it out be marked out of style for 12B, because "medium to high bitterness" is kind of subjective.

I might just go with both and see what happens.

I wouldn't think so, based on the recipe in the link...

3.00 oz. EKG @ 90 min for 60 IBU
1.50 oz. EKG @ 30 min for 22 IBU
0.50 oz. EKG @ 15 min for 8 IBU
1.00 oz. EKG @ Dryhop (serving)

That's not a lot of flavor/aroma for a 1.067 beer.

Whoops! Didn't bother to check the recipe. My bad. :eek:

I personally wouldn't enter it in both categories, but it's not a bad idea just in case.

Back