BCBS Mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyanmonkey

Reaction score
What the crap. Just got my hands on the 2015 BCBS and I can't believe how thick it is and it got me wondering how/why it's so crazy syrupy.

Oats? Dextrine? Ideas?

Also evaporation in the barrels.

If you don't like it, I know people that will take it off your hands.

Lol. There are NO complaints coming from me, trust me. It's unbelievable, I've just never had something so syrupy!

So, if it finishes at 1.030, that's a freaking HUGE brew, yes? I don't know how much abv they get from the barrels, I'd imagine a % or so, but just using base malt in Beersmith for a 5 gallon batch at 70% efficiency it's something like 25 lbs of grain. Re-dick.

Do they not top off?

I couldn't imagine them not, since that could leave it open to excessive oxidation.

But the sugars remain in concentrated from the original full volume. It would be topped up with more stout, not pure water.

Id believe it's just a real high og beer with an equal high fg prob in the 1.030-40 range. The dragons milk reserve triple mash I just had seemed equalled as syrupy and that was 14%.

Lol. There are NO complaints coming from me, trust me. It's unbelievable, I've just never had something so syrupy!

So, if it finishes at 1.030, that's a freaking HUGE brew, yes? I don't know how much abv they get from the barrels, I'd imagine a % or so, but just using base malt in Beersmith for a 5 gallon batch at 70% efficiency it's something like 25 lbs of grain. Re-dick.

Yep plus 3lbs of dark malt

View attachment 1448735375473.jpg

They also do a 4 hour boil on it. That certainly would thicken it up. I have been searching for years to find a beer that is similar to BCBS and have yet to find one that has the flavor, mouthfeel, or balance that BCBS does.

@sudbuddy I should be getting those bottles tomorrow. I'll be coming in with the BCBS and some other goodies I just picked up in MN over the holiday.

There's a video on Goose Island's website somewhere that shows a brief glimpse of the grain bill written on a sheet of paper, but who knows if that's the real thing. From what I recall, it was just the usual suspects for an imperial stout (2 row, chocolate malt, roasted barley, some crystal malts and some oats I think). Maybe I'll find that video and post it up tomorrow, it's too late now.

It is in one of the grit and grain videos. I think #8 if i remeber correctly. It also shows the weight of each grain and some vital stats. I used that to scale my grain bill for my clone i am working on.

That whole series is pretty cool.

I remember a few years ago, before it reached whale status I used to be able to get it on tap all winter at a few of my local bars. The first time I had it the bartender poured it, handed it over, and said "this beer has more flavor in one sip than you'd get from a whole case of Budweiser" and boy was he right. Turned me on to BBA stouts on the spot and I've never looked back.

Man, I miss the good old days

I remember a few years ago, before it reached whale status I used to be able to get it on tap all winter at a few of my local bars. The first time I had it the bartender poured it, handed it over, and said "this beer has more flavor in one sip than you'd get from a whole case of Budweiser" and boy was he right. Turned me on to BBA stouts on the spot and I've never looked back.

Man, I miss the good old days

A friend of mine mentioned to his father (who lives in Texas) to keep an eye out for the 2015 release.

He sent him a picture of a few bottles saying, "Sorry, I could only find 2014. Is that ok?"

Yes, dad, it's ok.

I'm going to crack a bottle of the 2015 this weekend. I managed to score about 4 BCBS, 2 BC Barleywine, 1 BC Rye, and 2 2014 BC Coffee. Totally stoked. It reminded me of when I was a little kid going store to store to try an find the fresh released action figures. Ahh nostalgia..

Latest posts

Back