BB and the 4912

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
So I have all of the parts and pieces for my kegerator except for the fridge. I went today and searched online and found yes indeed Best Buy does sell them. The problem is that all of the stores that are in my "area" up to 200 miles away don't have any in stock.

Also I read on another thread here, cant remember which one that Best Buy will no longer be selling them. Don't know if that is true, but it does beg a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone else sell them besides craigslsit, and
2. Is there an alternative? How small can you go for two kegs and a 5lb CO2 tank on the inside? Will the Danby 4.4cf fridge work?

All I know if that I well be very put out if I have come this far only to not find a suitable fridge.

The thread you read was talking about Fry's Electronic Store not carrying them anymore.

Even if none of your local Best Buys have them in stock, you can always ask them to order for you.

Or, you can do a keezer instead.

The Kenmore Elite 4.9 is supposed to be almost identical to the Sanyo. The Kenmore is what I have and I easily fit two kegs, and I'm pretty sure a 5 lbs. would fit in the back too. The problem is Sears doesn't have the fridge listed on their site anymore, so they might have been discontinued, but worth calling your local place and seeing. The model number is: 564-95499400 and I think there is a black front and a steel front model.

Here's an example with the CO2 in the back.

Three of the Best Buys here told me they are no longer gonna carry the Sanyo without the freezer (4912? I can't remember the numbers) - I got one off the floor due to the policy "if we stop carrying it, you can buy the floor model".

A week later I'm at a forth Best Buy (they grow like weeds out here) and the guy tells me he never heard anything about not getting these exact fridges in.

I hunted all over for the 4012 one, so I didn't have to bend down a freezer.

This site was what I used to make it work, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

http://www.kegkits.com/kegerator1.htm

The Best Buy near me said they were going to stop selling sanyo completely for fridges. They have them online though (with about $70 shipping):( I got mine at a local Fry's Electronics for 199.

Hmmnn...that site doesn't advise using a wooden backing plate under the plastic top of the 4912. Gotta be pretty flimsy that way.

I still think Buford's guide is the class of the field.

Converting a Sanyo 4912 to be a homebrew kegerator

That "how to" is a train wreck too.
Between finding the line on the top of the fridge to cutting the hole, it wreaks of train wreck.

Buford's guide is easily one of the best.

I would have to agree that most, if not all of the how to's here on HBT are top notch.

So it would seem that best buy and the 4912 is if-y at best. I guess it may be a good idea to look into the 5.0 cf Oster that best best buy is carrying and see if that is a possibility. Or the kenmore that RonnieDobbs mentioned.

Or I may get lucky and find the 4912. Thanks guys!

Buford's guide is awesome -I can still do what is suggested there in a few steps -

I have to admit finding that line and praying I didn't puncture it was pretty tough.

Wish I had stumbled on Buford's first - oh well, live and learn!

So yeah, just wanted to put in a little update. I went to one of our BestBuys today and was told that they indeed would not be getting anymore of them. They did however have the floor model left. It had some dents and what not, so I plugged it in and made sure that it worked. It did. I bought it.

Now thanks to others on the board who have said what they have paid for their floor models, I was able to take mine home for $139.99 plus tax, so right around $150 total. Thanks guys! Now I just have to build the thing!

Back