Bayou SQ14 use on a deck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I just purchased a Bayou Classic SQ14. I don't have a patio, only a wooden deck on my back yard. Would it be a no no to use this burner on a wooden deck? Would that much heat actually be directed downward?

I guess I could always get some patio stone and place them on the grass if it's going to be an issue.

I always use my SQ14 on my wooden deck with no problems. For the last 6 months or so it has been elevated about 6" on my brew stand, but I set it directlyon the deck before that.

I'm not saying it's ok, just my experience...

Looks like this may be helpful...

http://www.grillpad.com/products/original_details.html

pict3_original.png

I use some aluminum roof flashing under the burner, it makes a nice heat shield that reflects the heat back up. I also protects the deck. It works very well and costs less than a grill pad.

I would just put a piece of old plywood, particle board, etc underneath it. The heat transfer capability of wood is very poor so it should protect your deck fine.

As long as you are not deep frying a turkey I think you'll be alright. As mentioned before, just use something on top of the deck like plywood and have a fire extinguisher available.

I would just put a piece of old plywood, particle board, etc underneath it. The heat transfer capability of wood is very poor so it should protect your deck fine.

+1 That's what I do. There will be considerable heat radiated from the burner and the bottom of the kettle. Even if the high heat does no obvious damage to the deck, there could well be some not so obvious damage to the finish or the wood. Even a large aluminum pizza pan or cookie sheet would protect the deck. Cheap insurance IMO. The grill mat is also a good suggestion.

I use mine on the ground because I don't have a deck... but I put 4 Patio pavers down so I don't catch any leaves on fire... that being said I've checked and the pavers don't seem to get hot at all.

I like boiling on my front walk which is bluestone. Everyone driving by wonders what the hell is going on, lol.
Edit: Just got my SQ14 Bayou Classic today from Amazon, $49.97, free shipping. Man, this thing is built solid! Looks like you could stand a 55 gallon drum on it! Can't wait to use it, my Polarware 42 qt brewpot comes 1/31/11.

New pot on new SQ14 is beautiful. Edge of base of 14" diameter pot is an inch in from the middle of each side of the square burner frame. Looks like it could easily support an 18" pot, maybe larger.

Back