bayou cooker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven77

Reaction score
Anyone use there bayou cooker in the garage? Is it safe? Saw that some people were brewing during the rainy weekend and I just got mine. Wondering if I can do it or should I wait for a nicer day?

The fumes can be deadly so you always want to make sure you have adequate ventilation. Some just open the garage door and are fine.

Ya I would have the door open. I Just read something about not using it under an overhang or in a garage. Wasn't sure if that was overcautious or not.

Get a CO detector just in case, or have a fan nearby for ventilation.

I've used mine in the garage with the door open for every brew since I've had it. I keep it somewhat close to the door.

I use mine in the garage all winter. I just crack the bottom of the door about a foot, that's all. CO is heavier than air, so it should just flow right out. I'm still here, so far so good!

If you decide to do it in the garage make sure there is enough ventilation. My garage has a door to the outside that I keep open with the garage door open and I use a fan. I mostly do this to escape the Texas heat, but its still a good practice. Also the sensor couldnt hurt.

Okay, but it's not like I'm sitting in the garage lying on the floor for the entire time the burner is on. I'm in and out of the house cleaning, grabbing stuff, measuring hops, etc.

The garage is sloped towards the door. The door is open a bit. CO is heavier than air. It'll flow right out and down the driveway.

Sure it's something to keep in mind, but it's not something you need to **** your pants over.

Ya I would have the door open. I Just read something about not using it under an overhang or in a garage. Wasn't sure if that was overcautious or not.

The Bayou burner company tells you don't use it if you have an overhanging roof, but they are assuming you are frying a turkey in it. Have a boil over in that and you've got a massive grease fire on your hands. If you're just boiling water in it I don't think there's much of a concern.

Okay, but it's not like I'm sitting in the garage lying on the floor for the entire time the burner is on. I'm in and out of the house cleaning, grabbing stuff, measuring hops, etc.

The garage is sloped towards the door. The door is open a bit. CO is heavier than air. It'll flow right out and down the driveway.

Sure it's something to keep in mind, but it's not something you need to **** your pants over.

Still, be careful with that. CO is heavier and will settle out if everything is still, but it's coming off the burner hot which will make it rise. And the burner will create drafts that will cause a mixing action in the air. If you think you're fine I won't question you, but be safe, buddy. :mug:

yeah the convection from having a burner in a closed garage is enough to mix the air very well.

people often say they are fine because they haven't noticed a problem before. CO poisoning is usually not noticed until a person starts losing consciousness, and the more you are exposed to CO the more susceptible you get.

yeah the convection from having a burner in a closed garage is enough to mix the air very well.

people often say they are fine because they haven't noticed a problem before. CO poisoning is usually not noticed until a person starts losing consciousness, and the more you are exposed to CO the more susceptible you get.

It's not a closed garage, there's an opening at the bottom. I can feel the drafts flowing.

But really, if I were going to sit out there all day I'd open it some more. But as I said before I'm constantly going in/out of the house so it's no real concern.

Now you're going to make me buy a CO detector just so I can prove myself right. Bastards! :mug:

Amen. People think, "Aw, if I start feeling funny I'll get out." Thing is, by the time you start feeling funny you're not thinking straight. You may try to turn off the burner first. You may stop to tie your shoe on the way out. You may try to open the garage door and get out that way not realizing you will have to stand there for ten seconds breathing that air while it goes up. You're in a state of confusion. Then all it takes is another three or four breaths and you're passed out.

I mentioned in another thread that I work for a gas company that makes nitrogen, oxygen and argon. Asphyxiation comes on fast. By the time you feel the warning signs it may be too late.

Just don't want anyone to die, either right away or in time, from monoxide poisoning :\

I never knew it could affect you slowly over time.

I'm heading to Home Deeps tonight to get a weed-killer-sprayer-thingy, and am seriously going to pick up a CO detector. I may take it a step further and plug it in to an extension cord in the garage and see if I can "map out" the CO levels while brewing with different sized door openings.

Brewers - can't do anything simple, always have to mess around and experiment.

Every time you inhale CO it bonds to your red bloods cells FOR GOOD. It takes your body about 3-4 months to recycle your blood supply.

You may not get enough during a single brewing to cause any problems but if you do it enough times before the bad cells are replaced you are getting closer and closer to the danger point.

Like drinking booze: You may not get drunk drinking at a moderate rate because you are metabolizing it out of your system but if you drink faster than you can burn it up you get drunk. In the case of CO (remember it take 3-4 months to get rid of it) you will get dead.

OMO

bosco

paulster2626 said:
Crazy stuff.

Probably worth putting on a snowsuit in the winter then - forget the garage!

I have a Blichmann and the problem with that isn't the cold of winter it's that any breeze disrupts the flame. I usually have the garage door full open unless it's raining.

Problem i have is that when my garage door is open, air movement is into the house. However, the door from my house to garage doesnt seal well. Worth considering though.

CO preferentially binds to hemoglobin with 210 times more affinity than O2. However, when you remove the CO source, you slowly lose the CO bound in the blood. It is not permanent. The half-life of the complex of carbon monoxide and hemoglobin is 4-6 hours.
That said, it's nothing to screw around with. Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill you.

CO preferentially binds to hemoglobin with 210 times more affinity than O2. However, when you remove the CO source, you slowly lose the CO bound in the blood. It is not permanent. The half-life of the complex of carbon monoxide and hemoglobin is 4-6 hours.
That said, it's nothing to screw around with. Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill you.

SoonerDoc,

Thanks for the correction.. Biochemistry classes were more than 45 years ago..:eek: Should have gone with research rather than a CO addled mind:)

bosco

Back