Bayou Classic BG10 burner woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TristanLowery

Reaction score
I'm a fairly experienced brewer just getting back into it after a few years off. But I'm posting this problem here in the beginners forum because using a propane burner is completely new to me and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong to save my life.

I have a Bayou Classic BG10 burner and stand that I received as a gift a few years ago. I went to Home Depot and purchased a 20-pound Benzomatic propane tank. Hooked everything up according to the instruction booklet: attached the air shutter, mounted the spring, screwed on the threaded brass orifice, attached the hose, and plugged the regulator end into the tank. Tested for leaks as instructed with a solution of water and detergent.

After waiting for the gas to evacuate for five minutes, I opened the tank valve all the way, readied a lit match over the burner, and opened the regulator valve gradually. Nothing. After several more failed attempts, I called Bayou and was told to unhook everything and try again after fifteen minutes, as I may have tripped a safety mechanism in the regulator. This didn't work either, so I bought a brand-new hose and regulator that evening out of desperation. This one didn't work either.

I've looked into everything else I can think of: I even unbolted the burner and checked for debris inside. I can't figure out why I can't get this thing lit and I've already blown one brew day trying to figure it out. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there something completely obvious I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions - this is really burning me up (figuratively, of course).

This is the same burner I have and I haven't had any issues with it. Can you hear gas flowing when you open the valves?

If so, do you have the air shutter open when trying to light it?

It's hard to know how to help without seeing it. Could you post a couple pictures showing the way you've hooked it up?

One more thing to note with any propane setup is that everything should be closed when being connected. Open the tank first, slowly. Then open the needle valve on the regulator second while you light the burner.

If it's not working quite right, disconnect it all and open/close the needle valve on the regulator hose and then reconnect them following the steps above.

Make sure the orfice that the hose goes onto is clear and when you say you unbolted it do you mean you pulled the center part out? I've had to pull mine apart and clean up the inside because it had gotten rusty and had low output.

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't able to try out everyone's suggestions today, but I'll get to it tomorrow - and I'll take some photos of my setup if it still isn't working. Appreciate it - thanks.

I have the same burner and no issues. Will say the regulator that came with my setup is junk.
Depending on your tank, sometimes the piece that screws into the tank doesn't release the pin to start the flow of gas; it doesn't screw in far enough. Sometimes you need to screw it down tight, other times it simply will not work. It's the valve on some of the tanks that don't work right with the hose from the burner.

I've tightened the regualtor end into the tank as tight as I can; should I hear a hiss? I haven't been.

Yes, by "unbolted" I meant I took the cast-iron burner off and checked for debris (even though it was only taken out of the original packaging a few days ago).

Thanks for all the suggestions. Still not getting it to light just now. This is really driving me nuts. FWIW, here are some photos of the setup:
20180819_134716.jpg
20180819_134726.jpg
20180819_134731.jpg
20180819_134716.jpg
20180819_134726.jpg
20180819_134731.jpg

Attachments

• 20180819_134743.jpg
    20180819_134743.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 157
This is a really dumb question, but since I'm a stovetop brewer just making the jump to propane (and I always grill with charcoal) I'll ask: the propane tanks at Home Depot are sold full, right? Or do they need to be filled?

This is the only thing I can think of that could still be wrong. It's also going to be really embarrassing if this has been the problem all along!

I think the difference is about 20 lbs empty vs almost 40 when full. The propane inside is liquid so you should hear it slosh a bit if you move it around.

Try unscrew the hose from the burner, and open slowly for the propane, you should hear the gas come out of the hose, if not, then regulator is defective or tank is empty.
Look for TARA, that is the weight of the empty tank, if tank weighs more, then you should be good to go.

This is a really dumb question, but since I'm a stovetop brewer just making the jump to propane (and I always grill with charcoal) I'll ask: the propane tanks at Home Depot are sold full, right? Or do they need to be filled?

This is the only thing I can think of that could still be wrong. It's also going to be really embarrassing if this has been the problem all along!

Pretty sure the tank is sold empty because they don’t fill them there they have an exchange program, it’s ok if that’s it because it’s an easy fix.....just go fill the tank.

Well, I had an empty tank all along! Pretty embarrassing, but thanks for all the advice and troubleshooting, everyone. My parents had a spare - and full - tank for me to pick up today and the weight difference was immediately obvious. Glad I know the difference now going forward - and I'm looking forward to finally moving away from stovetop brewing.

Thanks again - cheers!

Glad you found your problem, but I will add this for someone that might have similar issues.

Some tanks have a safety valve inside that shuts off the tank if it get laid on it side, always transport and store your tank up right.

If you buy a grill they sometimes come with an empty tank. Otherwise the ones outside in the cage are full. You just ask at the checkout for an exchange or new tank.

Back