Bayou 62qt MLT false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajolupop

Reaction score
So I recently upgraded to the 62qt bayou ss pots for all 3 vessels. I'm trying to figure out the best and most efficient false bottom. I know the Blichmann false bottom is probably one of the most effective when paired with a bookmaker because of the design it saves from the wort channeling down the sides. Is that mainly because of the false bottom design, or is it the pot design with the indent at the bottom?
blichmannfalsebotom.jpg

Has anyone used the Blichmann false bottom with a bayou 15.5gal pot?

I don't really want to use the bayou false bottom because it has 3gal of dead space and I want to have the option of doing thick mashes.

Anybody that does worry about effeciency, what kind of effeciency have you seen with either options?

Thanks

I actually use a false bottom from Northern Brewer in my MegaPot setup. I prefer them over the Blichmann style because the NB ones draw wort from the center of the mash tun instead of the edge (that can cause channeling issues). Those false bottoms come in a range of sizes, you might be able to find one to fit your kettle.

I average about 80-84% mash efficiency with my RIMS system.

Batch sparge with a voile custom bag? JMO I think false bottoms and fly sparging over-complicate the process...

FTFY! :ban:

Never shy away from opportunity. :mug:

OT: I batch sparge with a standard dome false bottom. I don't worry too much about efficiency, just as long as I'm close to my pre-determined gravity... and 95% of the time I'm within a fraction of a point.

IMO, crush is where optimal efficiency starts. Everything else is secondary...

Back