Batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinzeye

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to homebrewing, and I am trying to finesse different techniques with the equipment I've got, right now I'm interested in batch sparging. I've never tried it before, and would like to learn how and what the benefits are. I am using a simple cooler setup for my lauter tun. Any comments are helpful.

Read through this to get the gist:
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ (Thanks Denny!!)

This will get your mind working down the right path and then you can ask more specific questions about the process. Overall, it's very simple, robust, and forgiving.

Setesh said:
Definitely go for batch sparging then. You need better bottom coverage to prevent channeling for fly sparging. Besides, batch sparging saves time and is dead simple!

Can u give me the gist of batch sparging?

Mash in (add your strike water to get grain temp to mashing temp, usually between 150F and 156F)
Stir like a madman/madwoman
Let the enzymes work for an hour
Vorlauf your first runnings (take the first 2-3 quarts of runnings or until the wort runs clear, and put it back on top of the grain bed gently)
Let the rest of your first runnings filter through the grain bed
(Following is what makes it batch sparge)
Put your pre-heated sparge water into your grain bed and stir to eliminate any hot or cold spots (your mash should now be at about 165F-168F, not to exceed 170 as that is the temperature you will start seeing tannins leach into your wort)
Let it sit for 20-30 mins
Vorlauf your second runnings, pouring your first 2-3 quarts back on top of the grain bed gently, as before in your first runnings.
Boil, cool, ferment, bottle/keg, drink!

This is for a one step batch sparge. This is the simplest way of all-grain brewing, short of BIAB. There are many more things that can be done such as adding steps like a protein rest or decoction, but you should do at least a few batches this way before you start trying to do more complicated methods. Consider buying a book on brewing, my first 2 or 3 all grain batches were done without putting down Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". All of these steps above are covered in great detail in other threads if any of that is confusing. Happy Brewing!

Mash in (add your strike water to get grain temp to mashing temp, usually between 150F and 156F)
Stir like a madman/madwoman
Let the enzymes work for an hour
Vorlauf your first runnings (take the first 2-3 quarts of runnings or until the wort runs clear, and put it back on top of the grain bed gently)
Let the rest of your first runnings filter through the grain bed
(Following is what makes it batch sparge)
Put your pre-heated sparge water into your grain bed and stir to eliminate any hot or cold spots (your mash should now be at about 165F-168F, not to exceed 170 as that is the temperature you will start seeing tannins leach into your wort)
Let it sit for 20-30 mins
Vorlauf your second runnings, pouring your first 2-3 quarts back on top of the grain bed gently, as before in your first runnings.
Boil, cool, ferment, bottle/keg, drink!

This is for a one step batch sparge. This is the simplest way of all-grain brewing, short of BIAB. There are many more things that can be done such as adding steps like a protein rest or decoction, but you should do at least a few batches this way before you start trying to do more complicated methods. Consider buying a book on brewing, my first 2 or 3 all grain batches were done without putting down Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". All of these steps above are covered in great detail in other threads if any of that is confusing. Happy Brewing!

The part in red is just not necessary. Stir the water in for 2-3 minutes of vigorous stirring, then vorlauf and drain.

Here's the basic idea, as taken from an all grain primer.

The Single Kettle/Burner Method with a simple picnic cooler MLT:

1. First you're going to figure out based on your grain bill, how much water you'll need to make the ratio 1.25qts/lb. Example, if you have 12lb of grain 12 x 1.25 = 15 quarts or 3.75 gallons of "STRIKE" water.

2. Heat strike water in your kettle to ABOUT 185F and dump it into your cooler, then close the lid. Wow, doesn't that seem a bit hot? Your cooler is going to absorb quite a bit of heat in the first 5 minutes. Leave it alone with the cover closed to let it warm up. After 5 minutes, open it up and stir the water, then test the temp. You're going to want it to cool to about 168F. Remember, software will help you figure out exactly what temp to use. Once you reach your ideal strike temp, dough in (mix the crushed grains in thoroughly) then close the lid.

3. After 5 minutes, open the cooler, stir once more and check the temperature in various places. Again, you want it to settle to ABOUT 152F. If it's a degree or two high or low, it's OK. If it's off by more, you might want to compensate with a little cold or boiling water. Once you're satisfied, close the lid and wait 60 minutes.

4. After about 20 minutes, you'll want to start heating your sparge water in the kettle. You'll need ABOUT the same volume as your intended finished batch. If it's a 5 gallon batch, heat up 5 gallons of sparge water to 180F.

5. After the full 60 minute mash, open the drain valve on the MLT and collect 2 quarts of wort into a pitcher. Carefully return this back on top of the mash (this is vorlaufing), then drain the entire MLT into a bucket. If the bucket has graduation marks, take note how much wort you collected. You're going to find that you lost a good percentage of liquid to grain absorption. In our example, it's likely that you only got out 2.5 gallons from the 3.75 strike volume. Here's where you have to decide ultimately how much wort you want in the kettle to start with. You will boil off about 1.25 gallons in 60 minutes of vigorous boil so you'll want at least 6.5gallons to start with. To figure out how much to sparge with, take this pre boil figure (6.5) and subtract it from how much wort you collected out of the MLT for first runnings (say 2.5). This leaves you with 4 gallons. This is exactly how much you'll need to sparge with.

6. Assuming you got the sparge water up to 180F, pour about HALF of the required sparge volume into the MLT (in the example it will be 2 gallons. Stir it well for a couple minutes, vorlauf 2 quarts again, then collect it in the same bucket the first runnings are in.

7. Repeat step 6 again with the remaining sparge volume. At this point, you should have about 6.25 gallons in the bucket. You can also split this amount between two buckets to make handling them easier.

8. Remove any excess water from the kettle and carefully transfer all your wort from the buckets into the kettle. Stir this wort up and draw off a bit to measure your pre-boil gravity and take note of it. You'll also need an accurate measurement of how much volume you collected. Once you have these two numbers you can figure out your mash/lauter efficiency as explained earlier on this page.

9. Proceed as you normally would for an extract batch. You've just made your own wort without "instant beer".

I would highly recommend you pick up a copy of How To Brew by John Palmer. It is an absolute must have IMO. Very easy to read and packed with instruction and reference material.

What BobbyM just posted above is how I learned Batch Sparging. Once you try it, you'll realize how easy it is.

Basicall all you're doing is draining your runoff all at once then rinsing the grains.

Back