Batch Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastings

Reaction score
I'm planning on using the batch sparging method. I got a question though, after i let it mash for 60 minutes, do i mash out or do i just empty all the wort and then just jump in whatever sparge water i need and mix it up and drain again?

I would rather not mash out but if you have to then i will, i do have to mash out whats the typical mash out calculator?

Many usually drain out the first runnings, then batch sparge in two equal amounts. It works very well. I've changed because I use a RIMS but I'd stick with the above method at the beginning.

alright thanks... so i shouldn't even mash out? i should just drain right after then 60 minute mash? then batch sparge

well, you can heat up the sparge water to about 180-190, so that when you add your first batch, it heats up your grainbed to 'mashout' temps, so you kinda are mashing out, but don't really sweat the temps of the sparge water, it doesn't seem to make a big difference. and yes, drain, sparge, drain, sparge, drain, boil.

The way I understand it, the mash out is to stop enzymatic action that would go on during the potentially long sparge time. Because your sparge step in batch sparging is relatively quick, and the first runnings can be heated right away, a mash out is not required when batch sparging.

The mashout also helps the liquid flow better in a fly sparge (I read somewhere).

Don't forget to vorlauf before draining! You want a good bed to filter out the bits but some will be on the bottom and need to be removed before you collect.

I usually pull no more than 2 quarts and its as clear as its getting.

Try it both ways. None of this is science really, or art even, it's being able to read, some common sense, and experience. Experience it man!

I done it with and without a mashout, single sparge and double spagre. For me a mash out and double sparge gets 85% efficiency. No mash out, single sparge is in the lower 80s.

Is it worth it? For a 11 gallon batch it might save a dollar. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've brewed.

I would only mahout if you're making a recipe you've made before and when drinking the last one you thought "man this beer would be better if it had a little more body".

I can see the point of doing a mashout with a fly sparge, but not with a batch sparge.
With a batch sparge, if you adjust the water temperature for your first or only batch to raise the grain bed up to 168F, then you have done a mash out providing you leave it to settle (after stirring) for about 10 - 15 minutes.

-a.

Mashout or not you still have to put in the same amount of watter. I fail to see a good reason to not do one. I will not change my process now because I have consistancy without any need for notes. I've found what works for me in my brewery.

I fail to see a good reason to not do one.

Because it's not necessary. The time it takes to batch sparge is negligible to the conversion process.

I will not change my process now because I have consistancy without any need for notes. I've found what works for me in my brewery.

Nobody is asking you to.

Little things do make subtle difference in the final brew. Lauter temps do change what is extracted from the mash. Kia's cold spagre expermant showed higher extraction of protiens. Many homebrewers believe a mashout makes clearer/cleaner beer.

Nobody is asking you to.
You quoted me, so logicly your post was intended for me.

Little things do make subtle difference in the final brew. Lauter temps do change what is extracted from the mash. Kia's cold spagre expermant showed higher extraction of protiens. Many homebrewers believe a mashout makes clearer/cleaner beer.

I have brewed using a mashout, without a mashout and even with Kia's cold sparge process. I've never noticed a discernable difference between any of them.

Many homebrewers believe a mashout makes clearer/cleaner beer.

I brewed an IPA last week with no mashout. When I transferred the wort to a fermentor, it was so clear I could read a newspaper through the full carboy.

You quoted me, so logicly your post was intended for me.

I was stating that no one here is asking you to, or suggesting that you change your process.

Back